Introductions

Group activities, announcements, recruitment, meeting with friends...

Introductions

Postby Will Rathouse on July 23rd, 2005, 10:12 am

Just a short note to introduce myself:

I'm known online as Brochfael but to friends and family I'm Will.
I've been doing Iron Age re-enactment for somewhere in the region of 8 years, first with the Silures Iron Age society and more recently also with The Vicus and as Ancient Whispers. I also do Roman and Bronze age displays.

I tend to demonstrate period jewellery making but also tell stories, make clothes, weave (a very little bit), fight, do leatherwork, whittle wood and generally waffle on a lot.

I produce a range of period crafts commercially and perform for schools, heritage sites and special events. Most of my storytelling work is based on Welsh and Irish material but I also do some classical Greek and Roman stuff too.

I am aged 34 and married with a very prcocious six-year old daughter. I live in small village in rural South Wales and am trying to pick up the language via the little monster who attends a Welsh Language school.

I look forward to conversing further
Regards
Brochfael
Will Rathouse

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Sir Gar Cymru

Postby Jeroen Zuiderwijk on March 13th, 2006, 5:04 am

I've just become a member, so I thought I'd introduce myself. Some of you probably know me from my bronze age activities. I've recently decided that I'd like to expand my craft into the iron age, the Hallstatt period in particular.

I work as volunteer in the living history center Archeon (http://www.archeon.nl), which is located in Alphen a/d Rijn in the Netherlands. These are our Iron Age farms:

http://1500bc.com/22_mei_2005/05220024.jpg

They are reproductions of farms found in Ezinge, in the north of the country. Ezinge is what we call a "wierde" or also "terp", which is basically a man made hill. These hills started in the iron age as to cope with the flooding of the country, and each time a new house was build, a new layer of earth was added to raise the floor. Because of this these farms were very well preserved, with roughly 1m of farm walls, posts etc. still buried.

The last few years I've spend in the bronze age area of Archeon, doing bronze casting. I'll continue with that this year, but intend to do some iron working and bronze casting in the Iron Age part as well. I may also participate in iron smelting, which has been done there before (though not with great success so far).

In daily life I work as engineer, designing rocket and satellite parts. That also involves metal and fire, but means I sit behind a PC looking at pixels all day, a lot more boring :)
Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Netherlands

Postby Jeff Scharp on March 14th, 2006, 5:08 am

Hi Jeroen,

Welcome to the forum! Archeon looks an impressive place to do reconstructions, teach and learn. Thanks for posting the link.

I did not know that about "weirde" or "terp". No doubt there is some interesting acheology form that. I hope you'll share more of you expertise and experiences with the Iron Age here. Let us know how the smelting goes when that happens. Those sorts of experiments are very interesting.

Jeff
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Temple, Texas
Tribe: Corieltauvi
Region: East Midlands, UK
Time period: Late Iron Age Britain
aka: Lugorix

Hello

Postby Joachim S on February 23rd, 2007, 6:43 am

Hello
I came across this forum some time ago, but this time I made the step to register
I live in Switzerland and 1 mile from my house is the famous necropolis LtB2-C1 from Dietikon.
Being a celts aicionado since my childhood, I began with active reenactment 2 years ago.
More about it on my homepage (in German)

www.interfaze.ch/Kelten.html

recently we founded a small group:

http://www.nantaror.ch/

Greetings
Joachim
Joachim S

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Switzerland

Postby Jeff Scharp on February 23rd, 2007, 1:25 pm

Greets Joachim!
Glad to see you took that *step*. Nice website for your group, too! I enjoyed looking through Forum Gallicum. I may be forced to brush up on my German again :)
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

My Location: Temple, Texas
Tribe: Corieltauvi
Region: East Midlands, UK
Time period: Late Iron Age Britain
aka: Lugorix

Postby Joachim S on February 23rd, 2007, 3:47 pm

Brush it up! The forum gallicum is a valuable source of information!
Greetings from Latene-County ;-)
Joachim S

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Joachim S on June 22nd, 2007, 4:25 am

...added to my homepage kind of a Latene Blog in English!

www.interfaze.ch/Blog.html

Greetings
Joachim
Joachim S

Postby Brittany Wills on July 27th, 2007, 10:37 pm

Hi i'm Brittany. I live in Los Angeles, CA and am a member of Legio VI Victrix which is a Roman re-enactment group that recreates life in 2nd century A.D. Britain. I'm currently researching and working on creating a Celtic impression for the group. This is my first time "going Celt" and any help in regards to my research would be greatly appreciated :D

Brittany <333
Brittany Wills

My Location: Los Angeles, CA

Introduction

Postby Adam Y. on August 1st, 2007, 9:39 am

Hello.

My name is Adam Young, from New Jersey, and I'm just getting into Iron Age reenacting.
I've done Revolutionary War reenacting for 25 years, but a friend of mine got me interested into some prepowder-burning info on the Belgae and I've been hooked.

I'm really glad to see this resource exists for all of us. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute here and there and maybe meet up with some of you in the future.

Cheers!
Adam
Adam Y.

My Location: New Jersey
Tribe: Belgae
Time period: 56 - 60 AD. and 1774 - 1780
aka: jokingly Adrix

Postby Chuck Russell on August 1st, 2007, 5:03 pm

jersey? u gotta get with saverio over there. dan's a gret guy and full of celtic knowledge etc. send me a PM and i'll get ya his email
Chuck Russell

Greetings unto the List

Postby Chad White on November 2nd, 2007, 1:25 pm

I'm an Active Duty Soldier stationed at Fort Knox, Kentucky. I'm also a (fairly recent) member of the SCA. I was lucky enough to dicover Ring Tribe, an SCA Iron-Age Celtic and Germanic Household within the SCA and so much more. We have created a Tribe of Celts as accuratly as we can within the SCA.

There are a few other members of my Tribe lurking around here too.

I portray a 1st CE Irish Celt who served as a slave to a Roman Centurian in Legio Gallic III.
Chad White

My Location: Fort Knox, KY / Barony of Flame, Midrealm
Time period: 1st CE
aka: Crimthann

Re: Introductions

Postby Bruce Willis on December 13th, 2008, 12:19 pm

My name is Bruce. Former Roman but going over to the Votandi tribe. We are 2nd Century Northern England. I also do Conquistador, 16 and 17th Century, occasional Civil War, WW GI/Red Army, and 1948 Israeli.

I am in the research process and will be making alot of posts.

Bruce Willis
Bruce Willis

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby B van Diemen on January 17th, 2009, 11:59 am

Ah, found the introductions.

My name is Bram van Diemen, and live in Tilburg in the Netherlands. I've been reenacting for some years now. Starting with 9th century fries/viking, 15th century burgundian archer and recently started on a 1st century celt from the eburonen tribe (since I live in the region were they lived). I was a member of an existing reenactment group, but not anymore.

It is great to see a great source of information onn this forum, since there are no groups in the Netherlands that I know of, however there are enough Romans.
B van Diemen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Tilburg, the Netherlands
Tribe: Eburonen
Time period: 1st century BC

Postby Andrew Malcolm on January 18th, 2009, 2:10 am

Hello from a fellow Euburonian.
A brave man is a free man.
Andrew Malcolm

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Natimuk, Victoria, Australia
Tribe: Island of Rhodes
Region: Biblical Christianity
Time period: 490BC Greece
aka: Ikaros

Postby T Hodgsn on February 17th, 2009, 2:14 am

Hi. Name's Travis. I'm 22 and live just south of Brisbane, Australia (nowhere near Andrew for you geographically challenged out there * *wink*).

I have done a small/tiny/negligible amount of Viking reenactment but have decided to get into Iron Age reenactment. Me, and a small group of people from the recently dissolved "medieval society" at uni have decided to band together and form a group. Actually, we decided to do this about six months ago but due to several constraints and general laziness we're only doing something about it now.

We're only at the "I'm supposed to sew what to what now?" stage, so expect me to be asking lots and lots of stupid questions.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd introduce myself.
T Hodgsn

Postby Folkert van Wijk on February 17th, 2009, 4:10 am

Don't mind the stupid questions Travis, just ask them.
Also take a good look around here, there's allready a lot of information out here.

So in short, Welcome!
Folkert van Wijk

Time period: La Tene I, II, III
aka: KOPICIOC (Korisios)

Postby B van Diemen on February 17th, 2009, 8:11 am

Hi Travis,

Welcome. And there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers ;)
B van Diemen

My Location: Tilburg, the Netherlands
Tribe: Eburonen
Time period: 1st century BC

Postby Andrew Malcolm on February 18th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Hi Travis,

Hows the group coming along? Send some pics when you get some. Now theres two Celtic groups in Australia!

Check out the pics in the Gallery. Some of them are from King Lake West we took a couple of weeks ago just before the fires. Apparently not much is left. http://www.kelticos.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=827
Andrew Malcolm

Postby T Hodgsn on February 18th, 2009, 9:35 pm

That looks likes like it was a lovely place. That's really sad.

Where you or any members of your group anywhere near the fires? I pray you weren't.

Travis
T Hodgsn

Postby Andrew Malcolm on February 19th, 2009, 12:13 am

Hi Travis, it was a nice place but now mostly gone!
We had fires in Horsham, about 1 to 2 kms away from the house.
Andrew Malcolm

Postby T Hodgsn on February 19th, 2009, 2:55 am

1-2km? That's too close for comfort for me. Glad your ok though. Thoughts go out to everyone down there.
T Hodgsn

Postby Pat Leppan on March 30th, 2009, 12:46 pm

Greetings to all. My name is Pat and its great to find this site with so many others with a common interest. As for an introduction, I am 36 live in michigan now that my vagabond years in the marines and subsequent transfers with my latest employment are over. I am an active member within the SCA not so much for their "historical accuracy" but mostly for the comraderie and friendships I have made from it. For the past 5 years I have been working towards the accuracy of recreating an ironage household and personae. Some allowances and concessions I have to allow at times but I'm getting closer to being more accurate. I am a jack of several trades, and not quite an apprentice of any : ). Leather crafts, limited carpentry, coin making and stone carving are the new areas of exploring potential hidden tallents. Swords n spears n shields have been my preocupation within the SCA. When I was stationed in california I had a good friendship with Otuell aka Ben Abbot. (Remarkable Craftsman) Anyway, I believe that I have it in me to be a good student so to those whom have more knowledge out there, don't mind me if I pick your brain a bit... I'm just trying to b a better Gaul. ; {
Pat Leppan
Aka
Viridovix Aeduus
Following the wheel of knowledge
Pat Leppan

My Location: Michigan, United States
Tribe: Aedui
Time period: 600 b.c. - 100 a.d.
aka: Viridovix Aeduus

Postby Terry Sebolt on March 30th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Pat,

Welcome to the list. We're always happy to have new members. Please jump in whenever you feel the urge, the rest of us do.

Yeah, Otuell pretty much makes us all sick with his talents. We are all envious. I had the pleasure of meeting him and viewing his work when I was living in LA a couple of years ago. Remarkable fellow. We have several members in Michigan that you'll want to talk with, as well. Please feel free to share your own knowledge and talents with us. We'll want to pick your brains, as well. And we do have a separate gallery for pictures, that you won't want to miss.

Again, welcome.
Redg the Leatherseller
Terry Sebolt

My Location: San Antonio, TX
Tribe: Corieltauvi & Batavi
Time period: 1 C BC - 1 C AD & Hallstatt
aka: Red the Leatherselle

Postby Bob Roeder on April 19th, 2009, 11:09 pm

Hello All,

Been lurking about for a while and decided it’s time to participate.

I’ve been reenacting on and off since 1976 (Civil War, Rev War, 1812, and F&I) mostly in the northeast U.S. (home is western N. Y. State). Considered Roman and/or Viking reenacting but never ventured beyond a lot of reading.

Though I ‘m not quite sure to what degree I wish to participate in Iron Age/Celtic reenacting I am still in the process of building an impression - deciding on Gaul vs. Britain. Over the last few months I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading and research and thus far found this quite an interesting and exciting period to study and am very happy to have found this excellent website. Though at this point I’m concentrating on clothing and weapons, I do not think I want to participate in “combat“, but would be interested in learning to use the weapons and move on to some of the crafts, etc.

Besides other professional pursuits I have a B.A. Anthropology: Archaeology (In America Archaeology is a sub-category of Anthropology; in Europe, History). My main foci of study were French Colonial America and a long interest in Native Americans which led to an interest in flint knapping, atlatls and primitive technologies in general - How “primitive“ peoples actually lived and were quite at home in a world/environment from which we try our best to detach ourselves. Wish I would have been more interested in the IA period when I took some classes in London in the late 80s.

While reading about the Celts I could not help noticing, while there are many differences, there are quite a few similarities between Native Americans and Celtic peoples - Native Americans were conquered / subjected by EuroAmericans just as the Celts (especially of Gaul and Britain) were conquered by the Romans. Both share a close connection with the natural world on a physical and spiritual level; the application of symbolic art when decorating clothing, tools, weapons, etc.; the use of animal “totems”; the importance placed on gaining prestige and exhibiting bravery in battle….etc., etc.

Besides asking a bunch of questions (I have many) I hope to have something to contribute to discussions as well.

Bob Roeder
Bob Roeder

"Cracked skull and cleft jaw,
Splintered spear, broken sword,
Dead prefect, dead tribune!
Death to the Romans!

Bright beams our blaze tonight;
Great the Cherusci clan;
Drink we a health to thee,
Hermann, our hero!" W. Beare
Bob Roeder

My Location: Buffalo, NY
Tribe: general Celtic/Germanic
Time period: 100BC - 200AD

Postby Folkert van Wijk on April 20th, 2009, 2:35 am

Bob Roeder wrote:

While reading about the Celts I could not help noticing, while there are many differences, there are quite a few similarities between Native Americans and Celtic peoples - Native Americans were conquered / subjected by EuroAmericans just as the Celts (especially of Gaul and Britain) were conquered by the Romans. Both share a close connection with the natural world on a physical and spiritual level; the application of symbolic art when decorating clothing, tools, weapons, etc.; the use of animal “totems”; the importance placed on gaining prestige and exhibiting bravery in battle….etc., etc.

Bob Roeder

Hi Bob, welcome to this forum, nice to meet you.
The upper statement is an interesting point of view, specially because my former interest for the native Americans, got me interested in the Celts also.
And yes there are similarities. It would be interesting to start a topic about those similarities and the differences.

So in short, again welcome to the forum.
Folkert van Wijk

Time period: La Tene I, II, III
aka: KOPICIOC (Korisios)

Next

Return to Living History groups of the Iron Age