Surgery in Iron Age Britain

Group activities, announcements, recruitment, meeting with friends...

Surgery in Iron Age Britain

Postby Dulcie Durman on September 22nd, 2015, 3:49 am

(Another question from a member of the public at one of our events this year.)

Does anyone know of any references for the suturing of wounds in Iron Age Britain, please?

Somebody said to me that, as they were sewing up cloth for clothes, of course they'd think to sew up wounds, but a) not every culture in history has reached the same concepts/inventions and b) I'd need a proper reference for the subject.

Any help gratefully received!
Dulcie Durman

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Surgery in Iron Age Britain

Postby Jeff Scharp on October 6th, 2015, 4:05 am

That would be interesting to know, if there is any evidence that far north. In "Ancient Medicine" by Vivian Nutton (2004) there are references to using catgut, though his focus is on early Greece to late antiquity. He should be easy to reach at vivian@nutton.org.uk to ask.

Kay Myers is a PhD student at Michigan State, who authors http://www.bonesdontlie.com/ and might have an answer as well.
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Temple, Texas
Tribe: Corieltauvi
Region: East Midlands, UK
Time period: Late Iron Age Britain
aka: Lugorix

Return to Living History groups of the Iron Age