The Deisi, the Irish of Dyfed (5th-7th centuries)

Group activities, announcements, recruitment, meeting with friends...

The Deisi, the Irish of Dyfed (5th-7th centuries)

Postby Rich Craig on February 2nd, 2014, 11:09 am

Afternoon all,
I'm a 5th century reenactor basing my impression on a Deisi warrior from Dyfed. I'm looking to find other individuals interested in these people (or the Scotti or Ui Liathain) ideally based in the UK. I've recently joined Britannia. I have a website www.irishkingdomsinwales.weebly.com and a facebook page www.facebook.com/thedeisi
Ratae Militia (Cohors Primae Tungrorum)
Rich Craig

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Leicestershire
Tribe: Trinovantes
Time period: 1st Century A.D

Re: The Deisi, the Irish of Dyfed (5th-7th centuries)

Postby Zach H on February 3rd, 2014, 3:51 pm

If I lived in the UK I would join your fianna so fast! But, I'm the only Gael reenactor in Indiana.
Zach H

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: IN
Region: Ireland
Time period: 98 B.C.E - 400 C.E
aka: Séamus

Postby Edwin Deady on February 5th, 2014, 3:50 pm

If I didn't live in Cornwall and if you included Njiall of the Nine Hostages I would like to play.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Rich Craig on February 6th, 2014, 11:39 am

Thanks for the positive comments (and facebook likes) fellas, Edwin, i'm sure we'll bump into each other on our respective adventures.
Ratae Militia (Cohors Primae Tungrorum)
Rich Craig

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Leicestershire
Tribe: Trinovantes
Time period: 1st Century A.D

Postby Edwin Deady on February 8th, 2014, 7:41 am

With this period language appears to be a challenge with Old Irish supposedly very difficult but I wonder if a working language couldn't be used. After all the leader of a warband or a ship's crew would only need one gender when addressing the men and only a few cases. looking up on Google for Sengoídelc it seems to my untrained eye that it is somewhat simpler than later Irish.
Old Irish joke

Triar manach-- three monks easy eh?
http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/sengoidelc/donncha/tm/en/
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Edwin Deady on February 9th, 2014, 11:56 am

This online dictionary of Irish seems useful although it is based on Old and Middle Irish. I puts the words in the context of a phrase.
http://edil.qub.ac.uk/

The citations are confusing but with a bit of study basic vocabulary and phrases could be garnered for the Deisi.
Edwin Deady

Return to Living History groups of the Iron Age