Chysauster again

Group activities, announcements, recruitment, meeting with friends...

Chysauster again

Postby Edwin Deady on August 29th, 2013, 4:04 am

Last weekend and the Monday we were at our other home, Chysauster. Weather was very good this year making a huge difference to our enjoyment. Lots of visitors from Europe, America and Asia. Pleased that I managed jokes in Dutch and in German. Not great wit but German visitors laughed a lot when told to wipe their feet on the mat before going into Iron Age House number six as it was mine and if I went in afterwards I did not want to have to say "aber es ist schmutzig!", The Dutch liked the story of the two dragons looking at some knights in armour and one saying to the other " I love the crispy ones with the soft centres".

BUT little girls will give one a withering look of dismissive contempt at attempted humour or any silly sayings, their parents claiming that they were born aged 35. However we did have enough slaves on our quern to produce quite a bit of flour. The parents quite happy to have them sold off should a Phoenician trading ship come into Penzance harbour.

Several craftsmen in real life came to see us, including a thatcher and a drystone-waller, people whose jobs represent a continuity of skills from before the Iron Age. We had an additional person with us this year producing flint-tipped arrows with hazel shafts that flew very well. Margaret with nettle as well as wool and linen indulged in string making, spinning and weaving intringuing the people while I misinformed the public on history and the time line of tools we set up from Neolithic to Roman as well as hunting and fishing technigues.

It is nice that over three days our nearly authentic clothing does become clothes rather than dressing up costumes. We lived very comfortably on site during the day and regretted we had to leave each night.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Re: Chysauster again

Postby Rebecca Michelsen on August 29th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Sounds like a fantastic weekend!
Why is it that you're not able to stay on site both day and night?
Rebecca Michelsen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Petoskey, MI, USA
Tribe: Dumnonii
Region: Southwest Britain
Time period: 1st century AD
aka: Senovara

Re: Chysauster again

Postby Edwin Deady on August 29th, 2013, 2:14 pm

English Heritage lock-up site and The Good Lady Wife is excused camping.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Return to Living History groups of the Iron Age