Land

Group activities, announcements, recruitment, meeting with friends...

Land

Postby Edwin Deady on April 17th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Following the recent post on fur I wondered how many on the forum controlled or owned a bit of land where they could reenact as well as do other things.

My bit is about 30 metres by 140 at the southern endof a wood in Cornwall. As there is normally nobody else there the whole wood is really available with fires and building on our own bit. There is a nice little stream at the bottom that may well be streaming for tin or just maybe gold. Plans to do stuff have been severly limited this past year because of health probs but have managed some camps and some archery at animal face and 3D animals targets we are slowly getting. Still planning on reasonavly authentic hut on site and would love to build a portion of a hillfort top section with gateway.

Forgive me if you all know this by now but I love this sentiment from Kim Siddorn of Regia Anglorum "

"There is a dream that all re-enactors have. That somewhere there is a special place for them: a place where they can get up in the morning and look out of the door of a real house at an undisturbed and idealised landscape.

There will be times when the axe handle is so cold with frost that it is difficult to chop the wood; times when the fire won't draw; times when the porridge sets; times when the children sniffle and miss the telly. But when the thunder crashes around the sky and the wolves howl at the lightning, it comes to you just why our ancestors were pagans. Then, as the sun westers, we can close the great gate that cuts us off from the modern world, throw another log on the fire and settle down amidst the gathering gloom in the great hall that we have built with our own hands and say to each other - "It must have been just like this."
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Re: Land

Postby Dan Crowther on April 17th, 2013, 8:31 pm

One of our members has around 110 acres and he's allowing us to build a roundhouse. Of course there are other things that are happening on that land; farming, some logging, a house, outbuildings, etc. But we're able to use a couple of acres for the roundhouse, forge, kiln, oven, smelter and other experiments. Almost important as giving us a place to hold reenactments, this land has provided us with a wealth of raw materials for our projects.
Dan Crowther

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Valley Falls, NY - USA
Tribe: DalRiadan
Time period: 400CE
aka: Cormac McInnean

Postby Angus M on April 17th, 2013, 8:43 pm

My neighbours would freak if they saw a bunch of axe-weilding maniacs rampaging about on my croft ! But then, they did object to my application for planning permission... Anyone fancy a bit of rampaging? Only til the neighbours flee in terror. I only have a small, almost-ruinous cow byre on the land, but I have plans to turn it into a feasting hall, albeit a compact and beju one. Maybe if I rebuilt a broch like the ones at Glen Elg just down the coast...
old cow byre new feasting hall.jpg

ASeptember 2011 rainbow.jpg
Angus M

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Scotland, United Kingdom of Dear Old Blighty

Postby Edwin Deady on April 18th, 2013, 4:22 pm

What an asset that byre is. Heather thatch, firepit in the middle and you are there. Even DIY store table and benches would look good, knock down furniture was used by Vikings and maybe way back to BA. Getting a double-ended boat?
Edwin Deady

Postby Angus M on April 20th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Already got a double-ended boat; unfortunately only a modern Canadian canoe, but I have a notion to use it as a template around which to build a willow-and-canvas curragh, painted with tar or bitumen paint then with more leather-like paint. Folk might think they're seeing a ghost as I float silently past in the twilight, in my ancient boat wearing ancient-style clothing!
I saw a very nice double-ended boat on Arran a couple of years ago; see pics. That is a bit beyond me though.
You've given me an idea regarding the old cow byre; I was just going to put turf over the corrugated iron, but if I took off the roof and replaced it with natural poles cut from the woods, then thatched, I think that would look much better. And then I can build a fence from the corrugated iron and really torment the neighbours with its ugliness...

Skye and Arran July 2011 072a.jpg

Skye and Arran July 2011 074a.jpg
Angus M

Postby Edwin Deady on April 20th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Lots of glued ply plans available, rivets can be put in afterwards. Yoles etc.

Down here in Cornwall there are several currachs built and being built.

Have you seen the Arby boat?

http://www.algonet.se/~gwarner/canoe.htm
Edwin Deady

Postby Angus M on April 21st, 2013, 12:49 pm

That Arby boat is interesting ; a simple design but looks good. I'd probably get it all wrong and sink - the world's first sewn-plank submarine...
Angus M

Postby Edwin Deady on April 22nd, 2013, 11:21 am

Wish I had a spare £39,000. This bit of wood would be ideal.

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-woo ... west-devon

About five miles from our own bit of wood.
Edwin Deady

Postby Richard Hare on May 17th, 2013, 8:23 am

Edwin,

We have the land in plenty, with natural resources, but the irony is there appears little interest in this area of Western Alberta, Canada.
I did get some timbers hued for the Round-House recently, but now spring seeding is upon us I can only think about it whilst doing other things!

Seems Land & no time, or;
.........Time & no land! Bit ironic don'cha think??
Richard Hare

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Tribe: Parisii & Brigantes
Region: Britain
Time period: 100 B.C. and older.

Postby John Olinger on May 17th, 2013, 7:32 pm

OK Guys, The "Thor" meme & all related posts have been removed, back on topic please! Thanks!
Scotauiros
John Olinger

My Location: Bakersfield, California
Tribe: Votadini, N/E Briton
Time period: Second Century A.D.
aka: Scotauiros

Postby Ettore Viscontini on May 18th, 2013, 8:10 am

thanks ;-)
They fought disunited and they joined the fate of defeat
if they had been inseparable would be insurmountable
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Bergamo - Northern Italy
Tribe: Free lancer
Region: Scotland
Time period: Iron Age \ Early Dark Ages
aka: Dumnorix

Postby Angus M on May 18th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Woops, didn't mean to cause friction there... anyhoo, I was recently in the Western Isles, where I visited various ancient sites; stone circles, burial mounds and a broch. Has there been a reproduction, or rebuilding of a broch in modern times? Current theory seems to be that the broch protected a high-rise version of the iron age round house.
May 2013 105.JPG
Dun Carloway Broch
May 2013 106.JPG
Dun Carloway Broch
May 2013 108.JPG
Callanish Stones
May 2013 085.JPG
Stone Circle, Barvas
May 2013 084.JPG
Stone Circle, Barvas
May 2013 058.jpg
Battle Monument, Barvas
May 2013 057.jpg
Battle Monument, Barvas
May 2013 056.jpg
Battle Monument, Barvas
Angus M

Postby Richard Hare on May 18th, 2013, 11:55 pm

Angus,

After being out of the country 29 years, we hope to get home next year and part of it would be to visit some of the stone circles in the North.
Re Brochs;
Wether it's true or not I don't know, but I heard somewhere that modern attempts to build Brochs have not gone well, it seems they had trouble getting the stones to sat put!
Richard Hare

Postby Alex Hovorka on May 19th, 2013, 12:42 pm

The idea of a high rise round house was the first thing that came to mind for me when I saw a broch. Even if there is a trick to getting the rocks to stay you essentially just keep making the wall of the round house taller and taller. It's the same dry stack construction as plenty of the round houses in the area.
Alex Hovorka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA
Tribe: Boii
Time period: 300 - 200 BC
aka: Alex Hovorka

Postby Richard Hare on May 22nd, 2013, 7:40 am

Alex,

I've never been in a broch, but presume that the interior walls are straight, and the taper you see on the outside is just the wall getting thinner as it rises.
It is a puzzle to me if this form of building is particularly hard to duplicate, But! all I can think is that the weight or mass of the building at some point starts to "squash" or spread the walls out or in over, due to it's sheer weight.
I will try and find the article I read on this.

Richard.
Richard Hare

Postby Edwin Deady on May 23rd, 2013, 1:54 pm

Remember a broch is double walled with cross-bracing and a staircase. What I do not believe is that they were passively defensive only. Too easy to roast the inhabitants. I believe that they had a top section of wooden ramparts over the whole circumference for stone dropping etc.
Edwin Deady

Postby Angus M on May 26th, 2013, 2:35 am

Here are some pictures of Dun Troddan at Glen Elg, West Highlands, Scotland. The pictures show the double-wall construction with internal staircase. The walls , if solid, would be so massive that they would collapse under their own weight. One of the strange things about brochs is, they seem to have arrived out of nowhere; that is, there is no archaeological evidence of the evolution of the broch from a simpler structure. They are widely dispersed from Shetland to the Western Isles and western seaboard of the highlands. And just out of interest, a pic of the reproduction crannog at Kenmore, Loch Tay. (Try googling it, they have an interesting set up there).
Dun Troddan Glen Elg 01.jpg
Dun Troddan Glen Elg 02.jpg
Dun Troddan Glen Elg 03.jpg
Dun Troddan Glen Elg 04.jpg
Dun Troddan Glen Elg 05.jpg
Crannog at Kenmore Loch Tay.jpg
Angus M

Postby Angus M on May 26th, 2013, 5:57 am

Edwin Deady wrote:Too easy to roast the inhabitants.

Funny you should mention that, there is a legend about Dun Carloway on Lewis, that a group were hiding inside, when a man climbed the outside of the wall, using knife-blades wedged between the stones, and set the thatch on fire, thus driving out those inside to meet the swords of the beseigers. Interestingly this seems to have happened in late medieval times indicating that the broch was used, maybe only sporadically, until fairly recent times.
Angus M

Postby Edwin Deady on May 26th, 2013, 12:55 pm

The broch may have its origin in the wheelhouse and even further back in the compartments of the roundhouse. These may have been two or more storeys. Irish tales of characters looking down from their apartments exist.
Edwin Deady

Postby Ettore Viscontini on May 26th, 2013, 2:00 pm

next Wed I'll be in Edinburgh!!!
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Postby Angus M on May 27th, 2013, 1:32 am

Ettore Viscontini wrote:next Wed I'll be in Edinburgh!!!

Don't waste too much time in Edinburgh (though the castle is quite spectacular), get to the west highlands and islands.
Angus M

Postby Edwin Deady on May 27th, 2013, 2:16 am

The Crannog Centre is worth visiting
http://www.crannog.co.uk/
Edwin Deady

Postby Ettore Viscontini on May 27th, 2013, 4:58 am

Angus M wrote:
Ettore Viscontini wrote:next Wed I'll be in Edinburgh!!!

Don't waste too much time in Edinburgh (though the castle is quite spectacular), get to the west highlands and islands.

Ahahah I know but I'm travelling with my boring parents (first time after 20 years) so I'll do my best to bring them for a tour... but I already know my father will moan XD

"Edwin Deady" The Crannog Centre is worth visiting
http://www.crannog.co.uk/

I thought to make a tour... I cross my fingers XD

btw...thanks guys ;-)
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Postby Edwin Deady on May 27th, 2013, 5:07 am

So what can we do with our land when we have it? In the UK at least we are highly restricted. Without planning permission which is most unlikely to be granted we cannot build a house in our wood. However, a shelter is permitted for the storage of tools and for workers to get out of the rain and it could look amazingly like a hut of whatever period one chose. The there are the various debris shelters and the like beloved of bushcrafters and survivalists that can be thrown up and may be a good temporary solution with the lack of investment needed. The experience of sitting in a semi-circular bushcraft shelter around the fire is common with the most elaborate roundhouse or hall.

We may not chop down large trees with gay abandon but some felling can be done within annual limits. Small wood for firewood is no problem, we find that fallen branches more than satisfy our needs. A fire is one thing we can have and enjoy but obviously precautions against burning down the world must be taken. Clearing scrub trees presents another problem. If not many people are going to walk allover the cleared area then instead of grass we are likely to get brambles and nettles colonising the place. Useful as these plants are, on the whole I prefer leaf cover to walk on if I cannot have turf.

Bows and crossbows can be loosed at inaminate targets but we may not hunt with them. Weirdly, catapult hunting of small game is permitted which are less accurate and can be less lethal than a blunt arrow would be.

Can we live on our land? Fulltime no but can camp for 28 days in any one year. Of course, being isolated, who would be counting?

Garden agriculture is possible and one wouldn't have time for more, relevant if one wanted an Anglo-Saxon Toft or to replicate the beginnings of horticulture with deliberately planted native foarage food plants. So far my efforts have only Musk Mallow still growing but I shall be trying again by putting in sorrel and some other plants that are unlikely to run riot over the area.

What is the purpose of owning the land? Ownership has its own rewards of course. Access to an area where we do not have to ask anybody's permission to be there. Room to experiment. Waking up for a brief instant to the World when it was new.
Edwin Deady

Postby Ettore Viscontini on May 27th, 2013, 5:27 am

Italy is much more restricted... you should ask permission aldo to light a fire in your private land -_-'
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Next

Return to Living History groups of the Iron Age