Introductions

Group activities, announcements, recruitment, meeting with friends...

Re: Introductions

Postby Edwin Deady on August 18th, 2014, 4:25 am

Out of date information unfortunately but I do remember articles by members of The Silures with an insistence on authenticity, "counting threads in cloth used", for example, so I wonder if the group died of it.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Leah OCuinneagain on August 18th, 2014, 7:55 am

It wouldn't surprise me. Having been a haberdasher and dedicated sewer for around two years now, I know that you'd struggle immensely to find authentic yet affordable woven cloth that had the same thread counts as some of the Iron Age samples found in bogs etc. All the more reason to weave your own. :P
Leah OCuinneagain

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: North Yorkshire
Tribe: Brigantes/Parisii
Region: North Yorkshire
Time period: 1st Century AD
aka: Aia duxtir Cunogeni

Postby Henry Thomas on January 30th, 2015, 5:17 pm

Hi,
I've lurked for awhile, and then I posted a couple of things without introducing myself, (how rude!) so...
I'm a hobbyist Iron Age enthusiast originally from Texas living between California and Oregon who has dabbled in 15th century reenactment and collected the odd bits of good kit here and there over the years but never quite gotten it all together. So last year I told myself, "Self, you really should complete these old projects you were all fired up to do and then lost focus on!"
"Like the iron age British warrior impression I was going to do?"
"Exactly!"
"And the chariot? The team of Dartmoors? The living history village?"
"Don't get ahead of yourself." Anyway you get the point, so thanks for all the info so far.
All the best,
Henry
Henry Thomas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Southern California, Oregon
Tribe: Silures
Region: Wales
Time period: 2nd bce - 1st ce

Postby Edwin Deady on January 31st, 2015, 8:31 am

welcome, I am jealous that you have in Oregon the apparent large amounts of space to play in and abundant resources if a bit lacking in Iron Age remains.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ian Vawter on February 2nd, 2016, 10:40 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Ian and I am now starting into the Celtic culture and History. I have been going to the Scottish games and learning about my Clan for over 20 years now. Learning about Clan Mac Leod has been a real adventure and I found myself wanting to live the ways of old rather than just read them. Why I am not master historian on the Clan I have enough of an extensive knowledge that I think now would be a great time to start branching out. I think a good place to start is with the people who came before my Clan and are my ancestors from further back. In side of Clan Mac Leod's history we have extensive ties to the Celts, being one of the oldest Clans. On the isles of Harris and Lewis lay many Celtic artifacts such as Dun Carloway and the Callanish stones.

I have yet to explore the time periods of the Celts in any academic sense but I have started to do some independent research. I look forward to learning more using both this site and outside resources to further my knowledge. A end goal of mine is to be able to put together a Celtic reenactment kit representative of who lived on the Outer Hebrides, of what time period I do not know yet. I'm eager to gaining a better understanding of the culture as a whole and speaking with all of you on many a topic.

- Ian
Ian Vawter

Years of membership

Tribe: Caledonii
Region: The Outer Hebrides

Postby Patrick Duerr on February 3rd, 2016, 6:59 pm

Welcome to the forum Ian! You might find some resources on the culture you're looking for in the archives here. Cheers!
Tovta Marae da Augu, Tosgo Mavi Vergalla
Patrick Duerr

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: CA
Tribe: Gaesatae
Region: Central Gaul
Time period: La Tene III/D
aka: Pattosos

Postby Ian Vawter on February 4th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Thank you for the welcome Patrick. My investigation is well under way!
Ian Vawter

Years of membership

Tribe: Caledonii
Region: The Outer Hebrides

Postby Ettore Viscontini on March 6th, 2016, 11:54 am

I'm trying to push my friends here (Scottish Lowlands) to start something about Caledonians and Picts, but it's really hard... Not because they are unwilling but for the very few findings.
They fought disunited and they joined the fate of defeat
if they had been inseparable would be insurmountable
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Bergamo - Northern Italy
Tribe: Free lancer
Region: Scotland
Time period: Iron Age \ Early Dark Ages
aka: Dumnorix

Postby Cameron Kuzik on June 19th, 2016, 1:27 am

Hello, everyone,

I'm Cam. Plenty of people call me Hermann, but call me what you will. I've been gazing upon the reenactment community for quite some time. Until recently, I've either been too ill or too busy to be involved beyond making the odd piece here and there for people who've requested them (shields, leather things, weapons, et cetera). I have some ongoing projects, simply for the fun of it, and to develop my craftsmanship. Hoplites, Zaporozhian Cossacks, and the Kyiv'ska Rus are enjoyable and challenging topics.

Now that life is starting to slow down a bit, I figured a livelier hobby was in order. Why not reenactment, beyond simply making or buying pieces? It seems like a decent way to meet people who share such an interest.

So, anyways, after much thought and research, I want to attempt the Suebi. They just seem to jump out at me. I mean, part of my family originates in Schwaben, though the ancestral factor isn't the whole point of this persuit. I've already began construction on a shield and spear, as my first pieces. I think this may turn out alright.

Cheers.
Cameron Kuzik

Years of membership

My Location: British Columbia
Tribe: Suebi
Region: Deutschland
Time period: Iron Age

Postby Edwin Deady on June 19th, 2016, 3:30 am

Welcome Cameron.

Interesting people and area with some knotty challenges.
Edwin Deady

Postby Edwin Deady on June 19th, 2016, 11:27 am

I am also developing an across Roman period Iron Age kit. Have javelins, angon and throwing axe. Early period shield boss is waiting to be mounted on a small leather covered shield. The weapons are all sharp and a sharp seax is soon to be delivered. Already have a parallel weapon set of blunts. Sharps are much more realistic and feel better but obviously blunts are a necessity.

Are you planning anything involving boats and your local rivers and lakes? Dugouts with extra side planks, paddling war craft as well as sailed and rowed are likely vessels they used.
Edwin Deady

Postby Steven B on June 20th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Hi Cameron! Since you are interested in one of the Germanic tribes and are located in the Pacific Northwest, may I suggest you check out Project Germani if you haven't already? https://www.facebook.com/groups/192574844131790/

They are an early Germanic reenacting group that was active a few years ago. I am not sure how active they currently are. If you have a copy of the Osprey book Roman Soldier vs Germanic Warrior, they are the group that was photographed for the Germanic tribesmen.
You may see other Germans proceed equipped to battle, but the Chatti so as to conduct a war. ~Tacitus
Steven B

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Huntsville, AL
Tribe: Chatti
Time period: 100BC - 100AD

Postby Cameron Kuzik on June 22nd, 2016, 4:03 pm

Thanks for the welcoming, guys.

Edwin Deady - That'll be interesting to see when finished. Which tribe are you covering? Has it been easy to find weapons, or do you make your own?

It's funny you should mention dugouts. I love boats, and have developed plans for either a dugout or stitched boat, though not necessarily for reenactment purposes. Mostly for fishing... and to hold passengers and beer. My area is great for such craft.

Steven B - I don't think I've heard of them, yet. I'll need to check them out, thank you for mentioning it. I haven't read that Osprey yet, but it's about time I got some more literature anyways.
Cameron Kuzik

Years of membership

My Location: British Columbia
Tribe: Suebi
Region: Deutschland
Time period: Iron Age

Postby Edwin Deady on June 23rd, 2016, 6:51 am

Stitched boats are the way to go when a dugout doesn't satisfy! I worked on the sewn bronze age boat built at Falmouth Maritime Museum based on the Ferriby Boats.

Have been planning one of my own for years and keep changing the plans as on does. Based on the Roos Carr boat model. If you are planning something like a Salish design the Applegate Boatworks have some versions built in solid plywood to help keep the canoeing tradition alive amongst the north western tribes.
http://www.applegateboatworks.com/coastal.html
Edwin Deady

Postby Steven B on June 23rd, 2016, 9:20 am

If you are interested in making a stitched boat, you might want to talk with Terry Sebolt about making a coracle. He made one a few years ago in Texas. I think there might be pictures on here somewhere of him working on it. He's a member here on Kelticos as well. *smile*

As for the Osprey title I mentioned, I found the information in it to be of middling quality, but it was fun seeing all the pictures of Project Germani and being able to go, oh, I know him! *lol* I'll try and take a look through my library later this week and see if I can't figure out some good recommendations for information about the early Germans. I know one of the best sources is Tacitus's Germania. You have to take what he says with a large grain of salt, but many of his observations of the Germans have been backed up by archaeology.
You may see other Germans proceed equipped to battle, but the Chatti so as to conduct a war. ~Tacitus
Steven B

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Huntsville, AL
Tribe: Chatti
Time period: 100BC - 100AD

Postby Edwin Deady on June 23rd, 2016, 6:07 pm

[attachment=0]bronze kayak.jpg[/attachment]

Coracle and Bronze Age Kayak made by myself and friend. Also helped build a curragh and sewn full size replica of an oak Ferriby type boat.
Attachments
bronze kayak.jpg
Edwin Deady

Previous

Return to Living History groups of the Iron Age