Introducing the Annual Kelticos Challenge

Each year members are encouraged to research and create a kind of object during the calendar year.

Introducing the Annual Kelticos Challenge

Postby Jeff Scharp on November 26th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Beginning in 2016, a new challenge is being introduced. The basic idea is for members of our community to research and create an object during the calendar year and share the research, the making and the using the finished object with us on Kelticos. I suggest we call it the Annual Kelticos Challenge, or AKC for short.

If the 2016 Annual Kelticos Challenge is a success, which I anticipate it will, then the coming year’s challenge will be announced in late November.

Some criteria are required to select the AKC for each year:
1. It is something that was common across most, if not all, of Iron Age Europe, from Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age.
2. Materials and techniques are available to reenactors and living historians within reasonable terms (i.e. cost, availability, technology).
3. It is something that will enhance any living history/reenactment encampment or display, especially when used authentically.
4. It may be combined with associated artifacts, such as a burial setting, smithy, hearth, etcetera.
5. It can be researched, built and used within a year’s time.
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Temple, Texas
Tribe: Corieltauvi
Region: East Midlands, UK
Time period: Late Iron Age Britain
aka: Lugorix

Re: Introducing the Annual Kelticos Challenge

Postby Jeff Scharp on November 26th, 2015, 4:51 pm

The Annual Kelticos Challenge for 2016 is:

BUCKET

Hopefully this a broad enough subject that allows some interesting research, discussion and development! *razz*
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Terry Sebolt on November 26th, 2015, 10:38 pm

Game on!
Terry Sebolt

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: San Antonio, TX
Tribe: Corieltauvi & Batavi
Time period: 1 C BC - 1 C AD & Hallstatt
aka: Red the Leatherselle

Postby Steven B on November 28th, 2015, 9:44 am

This sounds like lots of fun! :D
You may see other Germans proceed equipped to battle, but the Chatti so as to conduct a war. ~Tacitus
Steven B

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Huntsville, AL
Tribe: Chatti
Time period: 100BC - 100AD

Postby Folkert van Wijk on November 30th, 2015, 4:02 am

Good plan!
Folkert van Wijk

My Location: Netherlands
Time period: La Tene I, II, III
aka: KOPICIOC (Korisios)

Postby Folkert van Wijk on November 30th, 2015, 4:04 am

I guess you also suggest posting the progress. And not just on the end of the year pop up with a finished project?
Folkert van Wijk

My Location: Netherlands
Time period: La Tene I, II, III
aka: KOPICIOC (Korisios)

Postby Jeffrey Hildebrandt on February 25th, 2016, 3:55 pm

This is such a fun idea. Does anyone have something in the works?
Jeffrey Hildebrandt

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Edwin Deady on February 26th, 2016, 5:04 am

Perhaps the Marlborough bucket

[attachment=0]marlborough-bucket.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
marlborough-bucket.jpg
Edwin Deady

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Edwin Deady on February 26th, 2016, 5:07 am

[attachment=0]bucket marlborough.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
bucket marlborough.jpg

<!-- ReMOVED downlaod wording from attachmnets
Edwin Deady

Postby Edwin Deady on February 26th, 2016, 5:17 am

May I add, gee thanks for reminding me of another project to add to the to do list!
Edwin Deady

Postby Edwin Deady on February 27th, 2016, 6:34 am

Wooden bucket requires carpentry skills or a bought in wooden one to be decorated but tin/white smithing is fun and easy although unforgiving if you crease the work. I play around with making things from thin hobby shop brass sheets so may practice making a small metal bucket. I wonder how much embossing decoration on the flat sheet would affect the smoothness of rolling the sheet into the body of the bucket. Will find out in time.
Edwin Deady

Postby Edwin Deady on February 27th, 2016, 6:52 am

So now of course I have to think how to fasten the edges of the roll together and how to fix in the bottom. Rivets and folding edges together are possibilites but fortunately soldering was a technique used in the Iron Age and seems the best method to use. Can't afford Tylecote's books on metallurgy in the past but do have Artifacts, an introduction to early materials and technology by Henry Hodges (1964) that has a section on soldering.

Just knew I would be led astray by this challenge!
Edwin Deady

Postby Ettore Viscontini on March 6th, 2016, 5:00 pm

I am out! -_-
I have to focus on 1700 stuff for Jacobite Rebellion by now.
I left the IA in Italy
They fought disunited and they joined the fate of defeat
if they had been inseparable would be insurmountable
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Bergamo - Northern Italy
Tribe: Free lancer
Region: Scotland
Time period: Iron Age \ Early Dark Ages
aka: Dumnorix

Postby Heather Smith on March 9th, 2016, 10:58 pm

Sounds exciting. Does making Steven B a more presentable Celt count?
"A whole troop of foreigners would not be able to withstand a single Gual if he called his wife to his assistance" -Ammianus Marcellinus
Heather Smith

My Location: TN
Region: South Germany, Heuneburg hillfort region
Time period: 300 BC
aka: Brecca

Postby Steven B on March 10th, 2016, 1:51 pm

lol, if you use your bucket to wash my face it might! ;)
You may see other Germans proceed equipped to battle, but the Chatti so as to conduct a war. ~Tacitus
Steven B

Postby Charles G on March 25th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Lots of good info here on Celtic buckets:
https://balkancelts.wordpress.com/tag/marlborough-bucket/

Wiki mentions this in conjunction with the Marlborough bucket:
"Further evidence of human occupation comes from the discovery in St Margaret's Mead of the Marlborough Bucket, an Iron Age burial bucket made of fir wood with three iron hoops, a top bar and two handles; it also sports bronze bands decorated with human heads and mythical animals, and is now on display at the Wiltshire Museum in Devizes.[6]"

Some additional details from the Wiltshire Museum:
"Archaeology / Iron age

Accession number: DZSWS:STHEAD.387
Stourhead Collection
Bucket / sepulchal bucket

1 large sepulchral bucket - the Marlborough Bucket - with restored wooden frame held with iron hoops, and two drop handles, the decoration consisting of three broad bands of thin bronze ornamented with grotesque animal forms and human faces and fastened to the (fir tree) wood by bronze headed iron nails, from an Iron Age Barrow within an Iron Age / Roman Cemetery at St Margaret's Mead, Marlborough.
Length 620 mm; width 620 mm; height 620 mm "
Charles G

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Los Angeles
Time period: La Tene II

Postby Edwin Deady on March 25th, 2016, 4:31 pm

I would walk or drive past St Margaret's Mead in Marlborough manytimes to and from our village of Mildenhall (Cunetio) for over thirty years. History is in the air in Wiltshire, as it is in Cornwall.
Edwin Deady

Postby Charles G on March 25th, 2016, 4:56 pm

For those looking for an approximately correct bronze alloy to make decorative bands for a bucket, McMaster Carr (and a few others, I believe) carry phosphor bronze, which has some tin content and is passably close to what would have been in use. They carry shim and plate stock in various sizes and thicknesses:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#phosphor-bronze/=11p3pl9
Charles G

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Angus M on March 26th, 2016, 4:38 am

Ettore Viscontini wrote:I am out! -_-
I have to focus on 1700 stuff for Jacobite Rebellion by now.
I left the IA in Italy

I recommend a few books; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bare-Arsed-Band ... ggie+Craig and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Damn-Rebel-Bitc ... 4V65N6A787 which give an insight into the Jacobite Rebellions from the view of ordinary people caught up in it all. Also anything written by John Prebble http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... ooks%2C233 .
Angus M

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Scotland, United Kingdom of Dear Old Blighty

Postby Jeffrey Hildebrandt on March 29th, 2016, 3:06 pm

I came across a Pinterest board rife with Iron Age bucket mounts. Bovine heads seem to be a common theme.
Jeffrey Hildebrandt

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Steven B on July 29th, 2016, 4:04 pm

So, just checking in, how is everyone doing on their buckets? I realized that the year is half over today, and I still haven't started, so I may run to the hardware store this weekend and get some stuff to play around with bucket making this evening. I have been spending tons of time dealing with school and work lately, so I figure I can justify putting off housework for a weekend to play with Iron Age stuff. :D
Steven B

Postby Jeff Scharp on July 30th, 2016, 10:04 pm

I've been busy with school and work, too. All I've managed so far has been casting these mounts and some research. For the bucket I'm planning on using fir since I can't source yew in Texas. I'm also making a tankard since it's essentially built the same way as a bucket.

bucket-mounts.png
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

Postby Charles G on August 20th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Beautiful work on the mounts! You should make more for sale! What alloy did you use?
Charles G

Postby Jeff Scharp on August 22nd, 2016, 1:04 am

Charles G wrote:Beautiful work on the mounts! You should make more for sale! What alloy did you use?

Thanks! I re-melted some old bronze plaques and signs that I had laying around, so the specific alloy is uncertain. The result is still a good color and texture, and definitely not a yellow brass.
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

Postby Charles G on August 3rd, 2017, 1:39 pm

So the Annual Challenge to build a Celtic bucket was started in November of 2015. Has anyone actually completed one?
Charles G

Next

Return to Annual Kelticos Challenge