Bibracte Food

Agriculture, plants, animals, medicine....

Bibracte Food

Postby Dan Crowther on November 28th, 2012, 8:20 am

I came across this http://education.francetv.fr/videos/bourgogne-bibracte-et-sa-cuisine-gauloise-v111271 and it looks quite interesting., especially the different types of food they lave laid out. Unfortunately, I don't speak French. Is there anyone here who can give it a view and comment?
Dan Crowther

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Valley Falls, NY - USA
Tribe: DalRiadan
Time period: 400CE
aka: Cormac McInnean

Re: Bibracte Food

Postby Kevin Beckham on November 28th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Translating it now. It looks really good. a good description of the kitchen itself, not to mention recipies, anecdotes, all broken into the four seasons. The only issue is many ingredients are native to France and hard to get in certain locations.
Tu Aroi
Kevin Beckham

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: San Jose, CA
Tribe: Gaisotii (former Arverni)
Region: Gaul
Time period: La Tene D2a
aka: Temitatis

Postby Jeff Scharp on November 28th, 2012, 11:03 pm

Awesome! In the scene above, she is applying some sort of oil. Can a French-speaker help me out to know what oil or what she is doing here?
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

My Location: Temple, Texas
Tribe: Corieltauvi
Region: East Midlands, UK
Time period: Late Iron Age Britain
aka: Lugorix

Postby Kevin Beckham on November 29th, 2012, 9:27 am

The only oil they mention in the book is hazelnut oil.
I was confused with the link above. I am translating her book about the same subject la cuisine gaulois continue.
Tu Aroi
Kevin Beckham

My Location: San Jose, CA
Tribe: Gaisotii (former Arverni)
Region: Gaul
Time period: La Tene D2a
aka: Temitatis

Postby Jeff Scharp on December 2nd, 2012, 3:00 pm

Thanks Kevin. That's good. It's even something that's easy to get.
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

Postby Pat Leppan on July 17th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Are there any sort of "recepies" for any breads or the like from anyones collected information. I have recently purchased several pounds of flax seeds, barley flour, flaxseed meal, and spelt flour and seeds. for starters.
Pat Leppan
Aka
Viridovix Aeduus
Following the wheel of knowledge
Pat Leppan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Michigan, United States
Tribe: Aedui
Time period: 600 b.c. - 100 a.d.
aka: Viridovix Aeduus

Postby Edwin Deady on July 18th, 2013, 6:41 am

Barley rolls or bannocks are delicious especially if made with part spelt flour to lighten the dough a little., flax seeds and honey instead of sugar in the dough. I base mine on a basic wholemeal flour recipe for rolls. A bit dark and heavy but a meal in themselves. Warning, they may vanish during the day and fellow living historians may be seen guiltily chewing and brushing crumbs off their tunics.
Edwin Deady

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Caldou H on March 6th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Jeff Scharp wrote:
bgk.jpg

Awesome! In the scene above, she is applying some sort of oil. Can a French-speaker help me out to know what oil or what she is doing here?

She says that she doesn't wash her plate often, and she adds that archeologist can now tell if the women used lard, suet or casein.

I may find some time someday to make a full transcript & translation... but not tonight nor this week :)
I'm slinging in the rain
Just slinging in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
Caldou H

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Samarobriva, Ambiani territory, in France
Tribe: Lémovices / Ambiani
Time period: 100 - 50 BCE
aka: Egidios

Postby Jeff Scharp on March 7th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Thanks Caldou! Interesting! Sounds like she has the equivalent of a non-stick plate.
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

Return to Agriculture and means of survival