Interesting Early Irish Swords

Interesting Early Irish Swords

Postby M Rederick on June 16th, 2016, 5:25 pm

I just gave "Military and Civilian Swords from the River Corrib" by Rynne a quick look through, and I found some interesting stuff that I thought I'd share here regarding Irish swords...

It has an expanded end sword with a 49.5 cm blade length (19.48 inches). Previously I thought we had no finds of earlier Irish swords being longer than around 18 inch blade lengths.

It also features a blade from somewhere between the 9-12th centuries (The article said that it would seem probable that this would date between 9-12 c). It refers to it as a short viking sword blade, but also notes that because it has no hilt furnishings found with it that it can't be certain of it's classification. 66.8 cm blade length, 75.5 cm overall. Although it definitely may not be the case, do you think there is any possibility that this may be an Irish blade that could have been based upon viking/Scandinavian swords?

Let me know if you guys know anything more about these, and I hope this was of some interest.
Attachments
Military and Civilian River Corrib 9 to 12 century sword.jpg

<!-- ReMOVED downlaod wording from attachmnets
M Rederick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Canada
Time period: Britons and Gaels, prehistoric to 1066

Re: Interesting Early Irish Swords

Postby M Rederick on June 16th, 2016, 5:29 pm

The article said the "crannog" type swords date between 675-850 AD.
Attachments
Military and Civilian River Corrib expanded end.jpg
M Rederick

Postby Edwin Deady on June 17th, 2016, 8:44 am

The Crannog sword is very like a Masai sime sword especially a short one that I have. They come in two versions and may be part of the same weapon sets along with two spears.

Wonder if I could get away with an Irish raider impression carrying the short sime.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Colin McGarry on July 13th, 2016, 9:06 pm

I want to say some Irish swords could beat 20in blade length (although not by much)-- I know there's at least one example of an Expanded End style sword that's longer than the Crannog you showed.

That longer sword sounds very interesting, I would greatlu appreciate it if you could lead me to some more information of it!
Colin McGarry

Years of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Columbus, Ohio and Richmond, Virginia

Postby Colin McGarry on August 23rd, 2016, 7:09 am

Also, that longer sword doesn't appear to be the only one. I found this little guy in the British museum-- about the same length (longer than earlier Irish, yet shorter than a Viking Era sword or spatha). I'm pretty sure it isn't the sword from "Military and Civilian Swords from the River Corrib" because it still has hilt components and the writing at the bottom of the blade. I wonder how many other such swords are floating around...
Attachments
IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

Colin McGarry

Years of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Columbus, Ohio and Richmond, Virginia

Postby Luka Borščak on August 23rd, 2016, 4:47 pm

I think this is an Ulfberht blade, so nothing Irish about it except finding place.
Luka Borščak

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby M Rederick on August 26th, 2016, 2:33 am

Still pretty cool, Luka, and the shape it's in is exceptional. thanks for sharing it!
M Rederick

Return to Swords