Could This Sword Be Saved?

Could This Sword Be Saved?

Postby Colin McGarry on May 24th, 2016, 5:58 pm

I found this relatively inexpensive but workable sword I want to use as a Late Iron Age Irish sword. The dimensions are good, but as you can tell looks rather... terrible. I thought if I file off the face and some of the other hilt decorations, so it uses a simple U-shaped pommel and guard, it would be fine, but how could I remove those weird cut marks from the blade? Any ideas?
Attachments
888011.jpg
Colin McGarry

Years of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Columbus, Ohio and Richmond, Virginia

Re: Could This Sword Be Saved?

Postby Jeff Scharp on May 24th, 2016, 7:48 pm

coa-hilt.jpg

I think the hilt is fine like it is. It's only the ugly blade that needs to b changed. The deep marks on the blade are probably too deep to get out with a grinder/sander. I would just place the blade. The cheapo scabbard might even be okay if just the loop was improved upon.

888011.png
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Temple, Texas
Tribe: Corieltauvi
Region: East Midlands, UK
Time period: Late Iron Age Britain
aka: Lugorix

Postby Steven M. Peffley on May 25th, 2016, 6:52 am

Like Jeff said. The hilt is okay in form and depending on how solid the casting is could have specific details seen on actual artifacts added by files or dremel. Aside from that, I would send the hilt to a good bladesmith so they could make a blade to fit. I would recommend:

http://www.swordsmith.net/
Steven M. Peffley

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania

Postby Angus M on May 26th, 2016, 4:22 am

What is that god-awful blade made from? Is it brass? Plated in something? Maybe filing it down really thin to get rid of those deep gouges, or filling them in with something else like solder would do it. Alternatively, flog it to a gullible tourist and tell them it is Excalibur. The weird thing is that the hilt is true to a real ancient one.
Angus M

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Scotland, United Kingdom of Dear Old Blighty

Postby Matthew Amt on May 26th, 2016, 1:09 pm

Yeah, that's pretty yucky. It's this one:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=888011

I wouldn't tough ANYTHING ancient-era from Windlass, personally. In this case, the blade is plated or antiqued steel, but it doesn't actually say what the hilt is. Might be zinc! Also note green corrosion around the rivets on the "scabbard"... Caveat emptor. Though it strikes me that the blade might be horribly thick and heavy in any case, so you could take a grinder to the blade to erase those silly marks and end up with something usable! MAYbe...

Kult of Athena has a couple other anthropomorphic-hilted options:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH3144

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=ASW56

Would one of those do better? Didn't Del Tin use to have one of these, too?

Matthew
Matthew Amt

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Laurel, MD, USA
Time period: Highly variable!
aka: Quintus, Aelfric

Postby Charles G on June 7th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Looks like they tried to put "hammer" marks in the blade for more of a rough forged look.

Fail.

The hilt is based loosely on one found at the Marne, and is acceptable for what it is. It is good enough, though, that I'd hate to see the faces ground off. Note that most Irish hilts were all organic, and could be made fairly easily in a home workshop.

As for the blade, it is only about 3/16" thick at most, which makes it too thin to be ground down. My suggestion would be to simply scrap the craptastic blade and replace it with something else.
Charles G

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Los Angeles
Time period: La Tene II

Return to Swords