Iron age swords?

Iron age swords?

Postby George Dine on October 20th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone can offer their advice on these two reproduction swords, in terms of are they accurate for any part of the Iron Age, and if so what kind of dates? They were bought by my girlfriend on a bit of a whim at a re-enactment event some time ago, and as I am planning on making her some scabbards for them I’ve been trying to discover what period they are meant to represent. So far I’m getting the impression that they are near the beginning of the iron age due to their resemblance to bronze age swords but I would appreciate whatever information that you might be willing to share to identify them!

Blade length - Larger is 56cm smaller is 37cm, handle is also of iron.

Many thanks in advance!

http://postimg.org/image/7qvszjpnh/
George Dine

Years of membershipYears of membership

Re: Iron age swords?

Postby Patrick Duerr on December 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm

They look like Bronze Age reproductions in iron, maybe Hallstaat inspired? The larger looks like a leaf blade style, which is definitely pre Iron Age, as the blades progressed more towards slimmer, longer swords for slashing more than hacking.
Also the entirety of both, hilts included, being cast smacks of Bronze Age inspiration. All the archaeological finds I've seen that looked like those were bronze.
Anyone else with more knowledge?
Tovta Marae da Augu, Tosgo Mavi Vergalla
Patrick Duerr

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: CA
Tribe: Gaesatae
Region: Central Gaul
Time period: La Tene III/D
aka: Pattosos

Postby Colin McGarry on January 26th, 2016, 3:54 pm

I have to agree with Patrick. Those rivets on the guard look like the only on bronze age swords to hold the blade to the wooden haft. I'm not that good at earlier stuff, so I could be wrong though.
Colin McGarry

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Columbus, Ohio and Richmond, Virginia

Postby Charles G on March 14th, 2016, 11:58 pm

The larger one in particular looks Hallstatt inspired, though it is rather shorter than most of the extant examples I'm aware of. So very late Bronze or early Iron Age. To me this is a "salvageable" piece that could be remade to be more authentic. Depending on the blade quality it might even be worthwhile to do so.
Charles G

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Los Angeles
Time period: La Tene II

Return to Swords