Irish Type II?

Irish Type II?

Postby Colin McGarry on February 12th, 2015, 6:58 pm

I was reading Ireland in Prehistory by Michael Herity and George Eogan, and it says the Irish swords of the Iron Age resembled the La Tene II swords. Most La Tene II that I couls find information about were ~30in in length where the information I can find on Irish swords are around 20in. My question is, was the sword shortened as soon as it was imported into Ireland, or did the Irish start using a 30in sword and over time it was shortened? And if it was shortened, over what time period would the longer swords be accurate?
Colin McGarry

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Columbus, Ohio and Richmond, Virginia

Re: Irish Type II?

Postby Steven M. Peffley on February 13th, 2015, 9:55 am

Hi Colin,

I think they are referring more to overall resemblance than specifically to length. Were they actually imported or are they local copies of swords seen in Britain? The shorter length might reflect the iron resources available in Ireland at the time.

Steven
Steven M. Peffley

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania

Return to Swords