Short swords from Britain

Short swords from Britain

Postby M Rederick on May 9th, 2017, 12:20 am

Looking for examples (or any information on) short swords from Britain not including Scottish or Gaelic "Irish" short swords.
Read a good bit on the longer variants but I'm trying to find swords similar in length or shorter than the Kirkburn sword.
Were shorter swords not as popular in Britain as they were in Ireland? Was this just because they had access to more resources or trading partners, or was it a cultural preference for longer swords? Is it that they did use short swords but long swords get most of the press?

Thank you kindly, as always.
M Rederick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Canada
Time period: Britons and Gaels, prehistoric to 1066

Re: Short swords from Britain

Postby M Rederick on May 16th, 2017, 3:19 pm

It turns out my library has a copy of British Iron Age Swords and Scabbards, so I took some details from some Northern British swords from that:

Fendoch (Looks like it was found in Perthshire, Highland/Lowland border area) sword: Overall length 623mm, blade, 512 mm long, 47mm wide at tip. Median ridge, tapers from about 200mm from the tip to a sharp point.
Camelon (Central Scotland) sword: Overall 470 lacks tang end, blade, 365mm long, 37 wide at top. Thin lenticular section, pointed tip.
Newstead (Borders) sword: Blade length approx. 525mm long, little taper until about 90mm from tip, rectangular tang which is 178mm long and 22mm wide, copper alloy hilt end.
Carham (Borders) scabbard: front plate 536mm long, 51mm wide.
Bargany House (Strathclyde) scabbard: Overall 612mm long, 45mm wide at the mouth, campanulate mouth shape.

It looks like these 5 present a range from about 14 to 24 inches in possible blade lengths for Northern swords. The table on page 5 lists the blade length for what it considers to be swords as 320-620mm (about 12.6 24.4 inches) for northern swords.
M Rederick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Canada
Time period: Britons and Gaels, prehistoric to 1066

Re: Short swords from Britain

Postby Luka Borščak on June 15th, 2017, 4:57 pm

You might want to search British museums webpage, I found some briton blades there...
Luka Borščak

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Swords