Torcs: Putting on and Taking off

Forging, smelting, bronze, silver, gold smithing....

Torcs: Putting on and Taking off

Postby Sean Cantrell on January 5th, 2013, 11:59 am

I was looking into a buying a torc and had a question that I hope one of you could answer. I was wondering how you put on a torc, particularly large/thick ones. Probably a stupid question but I'd just like to make sure before making an investment. I have read that there is some evidence that torcs were meant to never come off but I know that is not a practical thing for nowadays, but it made me think, how are they put on or taken off for that matter. For some torcs, I could see how they could bend or the front opening was large enough to squeeze on to the neck but some of the thicker ones (mainly the great Snettisham torc) I just don't see how they could be practically put on without majorly altering or damaging the torc.

I appreciate the help and thank all of you ahead of time!
"A coward thinks he'll always live
If he keeps himself from strife;
Old age leaves no rest and peace,
Though spears may spare his life."

- the Hávamál
Sean Cantrell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Northern Michigan
Tribe: Arverni and Cherusci
Region: Gaul and Germania
Time period: 5th cent. B.C. - 1st cent. A.D.
aka: Wotecorix

Re: Torcs: Putting on and Taking off

Postby Alex Hovorka on January 5th, 2013, 12:36 pm

That's an excellent question. I assume you just bend it. When I had a torc I would just press it up to my neck and it would bend around my neck by itself.
Alex Hovorka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA
Tribe: Boii
Time period: 300 - 200 BC
aka: Alex Hovorka

Postby Sean Cantrell on January 5th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Well most of the ones I was looking at may be able to do that, possibly a little bending by hand may be needed. But I was more talking about how you suppose one like this would be put on.
Attachments
AH4250.jpg
"A coward thinks he'll always live
If he keeps himself from strife;
Old age leaves no rest and peace,
Though spears may spare his life."

- the Hávamál
Sean Cantrell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Northern Michigan
Tribe: Arverni and Cherusci
Region: Gaul and Germania
Time period: 5th cent. B.C. - 1st cent. A.D.
aka: Wotecorix

Postby Dan Crowther on January 5th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Just bend it. My friend actually has that torc and because of the twisted wire construction it's actually easier to get on and off than mine which is 1/4" thick solid silver.
Dan Crowther

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Valley Falls, NY - USA
Tribe: DalRiadan
Time period: 400CE
aka: Cormac McInnean

Postby Pat Leppan on January 6th, 2013, 12:14 am

I have 3 torc replicas, A bronze / gold plated ipswich, brass / gold plated Great Snetisham, and a brass Continental bar torc. Each comes on and off easily by just bending the opening enough for the neck to fit through. I then close them and wear them about when ever the mood suits me. I typically wear at least 1 each week for a day or two when I am not working. I've also had my torcs for numerous years and haven't seen any signs of stresses in them. Its safe to say that the ones you can buy or have made are tempered enough to handle the frequent ons and offs of wearing them in todays world.
Pat Leppan
Aka
Viridovix Aeduus
Following the wheel of knowledge
Pat Leppan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Michigan, United States
Tribe: Aedui
Time period: 600 b.c. - 100 a.d.
aka: Viridovix Aeduus

Postby Ettore Viscontini on January 8th, 2013, 8:50 am

I've this, and i never had problems to tight around neck nor to break it...

They fought disunited and they joined the fate of defeat
if they had been inseparable would be insurmountable
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Bergamo - Northern Italy
Tribe: Free lancer
Region: Scotland
Time period: Iron Age \ Early Dark Ages
aka: Dumnorix

Postby Dru Durman on January 8th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Pretty much push it on from the front then twist it round. Remove the same way. The torc I wear at the moment isn't so simple, the iron bar in the middle makes it pretty solid, so it hasn't come off since I put it on in March. I know it can come off, it will just require some effort and until it has to, I don't see the need. I can fit a shirt collar and tie over it, so not had reason yet!
Dywow genes!
(Cornish: Gods be with you!)

Drustanos

http://www.dumnonika.com
Dru Durman

My Location: Devon, UK
Tribe: Dumnonii
Region: South West Britain
Time period: 1st Century AD
aka: Drustanos

Postby Pat Leppan on January 9th, 2013, 11:23 am

Ettore, From whence did you procure your awesome Torc! Now I am wanting one to finish out an early La Tene impersonation.
Pat Leppan
Aka
Viridovix Aeduus
Following the wheel of knowledge
Pat Leppan

My Location: Michigan, United States
Tribe: Aedui
Time period: 600 b.c. - 100 a.d.
aka: Viridovix Aeduus

Postby Becky Watkins Tien on January 9th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Sean, I'm glad you asked about this. For the 1st cent BCE, I really should be wearing a torc rather than my beaded necklace, but I didn't want to ask about the logistics! (Plus, the beads were easier to get. *razz* )
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Becky Watkins Tien

My Location: Seattle, WA
Tribe: Tectosages
Region: Ancyra/Ephesus
Time period: 250 BCE
aka: Cassignata

Postby Edwin Deady on January 10th, 2013, 4:28 pm

If the torc is flexible enough I find it best not to spread the ends out horizontally but to spread them up and down and sort of put the neck through the gap at an angle. It works on my St Just copper wire torc, the thin silver torc (made by me at a Neil Burridge workshop years ago) and a couple of pseudo torcs bought cheap at a car boot. These are really tubular Victorian brass "Alice" hair bands but they look quite effective.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Ettore Viscontini on January 11th, 2013, 6:02 am

Pat Leppan wrote:Ettore, From whence did you procure your awesome Torc! Now I am wanting one to finish out an early La Tene impersonation.

Hi Pat,

I found it in the website WW.REPLIK.DE
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby StefanoT on January 29th, 2013, 6:38 am

Hi all,

the torc Sean pictured is very similar to the one i own.

Mine is made of 6 wires of 6 wires (36 wires in total) of brass and is really very fexible.
the section diameter is about 1 cm and It's flexible as a copper electrical wire of the same section.
StefanoT

Postby Lukas K on July 26th, 2013, 11:32 am

Lukas K

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Krakow, Poland
Tribe: Eastern Celts
Time period: Lt B - C
aka: Kotto Aeduviros

Postby Ettore Viscontini on July 27th, 2013, 3:17 am

Lukas K wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=357058494389501&set=a.334552906640060.73797.331249060303778&type=3&theater

in this case I used a hinge

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

*cry*
I saw them all
AMAZING
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Postby Ronald H on December 3rd, 2013, 10:48 pm

I leave my torc on all the time,I have no need to take it off.
I honor the ancient Celts by having my face tattooed and by wearing a
torc around my neck
Ronald H

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: central Wisconsin
Tribe: Celtic pict

Postby Gabriel Krebs on January 14th, 2014, 3:46 pm

We have several Torcs in this house :-) Our heaviest is the Great Snettisham made by Ganderwick Creations. I simply bring the terminals to the back of my neck and gently open it enough to fit over my neck. Sometime I also refit it by lightly pushing the terminals closer together. There is give and spring in the wire braid.

Anyone know where I can find someone that does gold plating, as it would be nice to have that done to them.
Cé gur beag díol dreoilín caithfidh sé a sholáthar.
Gabriel Krebs

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Hudson, NY
Tribe: More than one.
Region: Ui Fiachrach
Time period: La Tene
aka: Dreoilín

Postby Matt Eslick on June 15th, 2015, 6:14 am

I think I may have a technique that the OP may find useful.

I recently found an old wrist torc that my father tried to wear but couldn't get on with. It is made from bronze and copper intertwined I believe, and is relatively old as it was green from the oxidisation of the copper. It was also very loose on the wrist and impossible to wear practically, no amount of pressure could make it close properly.

I managed to find online that you can clean bronze naturally by boiling it in water with some added salt, flour and vinegar.

After doing that for about 40 minutes it looked clean enough so I removed it.

It then occured to me that this would be an ideal time to put it on as the metal is still warm and pliable.

Touching the outside confirmed that it was cool enough to apply yet I put it on tightly with ease as the core must still have been hot.

It is now firmly on my wrist and I have no inclination to remove it, and would probably need assistance to do so as it became stiff as soon as it cooled.

I hope this technique is of some interest to you!
Attachments
image(2).jpeg

<!-- ReMOVED downlaod wording from attachmnets
image(1).jpeg

image.jpeg

"Let us, therefore, go against [the Romans], trusting boldly to good fortune. Let us show them that they are hares and foxes trying to rule over dogs and wolves." - Queen Boudica of the Iceni
Matt Eslick

Years of membershipYears of membership

Tribe: Durotriges
Region: Dorset
Time period: 1st century AD

Return to Ancient crafts: Working with Metals