Uraxtus Dūbnoi: The Creation of the World

Sagas, myths, legends, Hollywood, Fantasy, and all the non-historical topics

Uraxtus Dūbnoi: The Creation of the World

Postby D Rivers on January 31st, 2012, 3:04 pm

In the beginning, ere time or the world had yet begun or ever god was born, Sky and Earth were making love at the centre of the Cosmos. They have been making love since they came into being: Earth was born into the Void from the mind-song of Sky.

It happened that after many countless ages of love-making, Earth conceived a child. But because Sky would not lay off making love to Earth, the child could not be born. And so the child grew and grew inside Earth's womb until he was quite a full-grown man.

Now the child had no name, because he had not been born, and so his mother could not give him one. But at the same time, he was growing fast - he had to have a name. So looking around his small prison, he tried to find the name his mother had given him. But all he could see was the inside of her belly. And so, he called himself Bolgios: "The One of the Belly". (The Irish however claim that when he looked around he could see nothing at all; and so he called himself Dūbnos, "Dark".)

Now Earth realised that she was heavily pregnant, and she prayed Sky to let the child out, but Sky would not. More time passed, until Earth deemed that the hour had come to give the boy his arms. So she reached inside herself and gave Bolgios a sickle.

Now with this sickle Bolgios resolved to free himself from his mother once and for all. And so reaching out of his mother's womb, he cut off his father's balls. Sky howled and flew up away from Earth in shock and pain: and thus space came between Earth and Sky, and the World came into being. And for that deed, the creation of the World, Bolgios was called Bolgios Māros, "the Great".

And some of the fluid from Sky's balls, a mixture of blood and seed, fell on an oak tree that happened to be standing nearby, and from it grew mistletoe. And this is why oak mistletoe has magic properties and is a cure for barrenness, because it is the seed of Sky; and this is why it must be cut carefully in the correct way with a golden sickle; and this is why people kiss under the mistletoe in the Dark of the Year (for at this time there was no Sun, and so everything was dark and cold).

And some of the fluid also fell in the sea. And the sea foamed, and out of it there came a beautiful woman. And she was called Dānū, and she was the goddess of flowing waters.

And from the wound left by the sickle of Bolgios in Sky's groin, there fell a man. And the man too fell into the sea. And he was called Līros. And this is why the House of Līros is also called Wounded Thigh, because Līros was born from the wound in his father's groin.

Now Bolgios looked on Dānū and he loved her. And so Bolgios was wed. And Bolgios had many children with Dānū, and from those are all gods and men descended.

And so the First Age of the World began. Now the children of this union were all tall of stature, fair of complexion, and noble in deed. And this is why it is called the Golden Age.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

APPENDIX: Sources

This myth has been reconstructed by the comparative method. It is most heavily based on the Greek and Vedic accounts of the creation of the world, but the mytheme of the Sky-Father and the Earth-Mother making love, forced apart by their son who thus creates the world is found in many different cultures across the whole world. The idea of the World-Son growing to manhood without ever being born is something non-Indo-European that I came across while reading Campbell and incorporated for simplicity's sake, as well as to suggest a conciliatory explanation for the names Beli (Bolgios) and Donn (Dūbnos). Caesar commented (Bello Gallico VI:18) that the Gauls believed themselves to be descended from a god of the Underworld; in Irish mythology, the chthonic deity Donn is widely considered to be the father of mankind; and Nennius (Histoira Brittonum 10) made a mysterious and confused remark which may suggest that the Britons considered themselves to be descended from Saturn, or Cronus. I also picked up on the fact that Cronus is said by some to have castrated his father, specifically with a sickle. I at once made the connection with mistletoe's ancient fertility and modern romantic associations. Earth being born from the mere thought of Sky is taken from Hindu mythology, and the concept of the Golden Age when all people were fair and tall is an amalgam of Greek and Vedic thought, as well as influences from the Irish Book of Invasions. Don/Danu is also held to be an ancestor figure, often linked with Beli; and in Greek mythology, Aphrodite is born from the foam where Sky's fluid touches the water. In Greek myth Cronus married his sister Rhea, the root meaning of which is "flowing"; thus she may have originally been a water-goddess, as is Dānū. The birth of Liros is based on the mysterious epithet given to Bendigeidfran in the Second Branch of the Mabinogion, "Morddwyd Tyllion", which means "wounded thigh"; the Greek god Dionysus was also born from Zeus's thigh. I made Bran's epithet a patronymic in order to align the generations correctly. Thus we have the three chief deities of the Greek pantheon: Zeus/Jupiter/Dispater/Hades is Bolgios, Dione/Juno/Diana is Dānū, and Poseidon/Neptune is Liros.

And that is basically how this myth came into being.

- Nick Rivers
31 January 2012, Belgium.
D Rivers

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Duroliponti
Tribe: South Britons
Region: Hampshire
Time period: Middle Iron Age
aka: Dubnikos

Re: Uraxtus Dūbnoi: The Creation of the World

Postby D Rivers on February 1st, 2012, 11:11 am

Edited to add Dānū and Līros. Added explanation for this to appendix.
D Rivers

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Alex Hovorka on February 1st, 2012, 1:02 pm

Very nice read. Thanks.
Alex Hovorka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA
Tribe: Boii
Time period: 300 - 200 BC
aka: Alex Hovorka

Postby Sarah Hare on February 1st, 2012, 4:12 pm

This is very romantic and beautiful!
The extremity of the earth is ours, but this is the end of the habitable world. The Romans are in the heart of our country, No submission can satisfy their pride. While the land has anything left it's a theatre of war.They make a desert and call it peace.
Sarah Hare

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Canada
Tribe: Parisii & Brigantes
Time period: 1st - 3rd Century BC
aka: Mor

Postby Ettore Viscontini on February 1st, 2012, 9:15 pm

Well done :D
They fought disunited and they joined the fate of defeat
if they had been inseparable would be insurmountable
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

My Location: Bergamo - Northern Italy
Tribe: Free lancer
Region: Scotland
Time period: Iron Age \ Early Dark Ages
aka: Dumnorix

Postby Livio Asta on March 20th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Very good! Since some month, inspired by various books, i am writing too some tales, more or less this way (but in Italian).
Livio Asta

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Carugo, in *Brigantia, between Mesiolanomand *Komon
Tribe: Insubres
Region: Northern Italy
Time period: III b.C.
aka: Kosios

Postby D Rivers on March 21st, 2012, 8:54 am

Some of the criticism I have heard says this is "too Greek" - modern Celtic reconstructionists would prefer something with dismemberment and fire and water rather than the Skyfather/Earthmother/Worldson found in other IE religions. They may well be right - both myths are pretty equally widespread. I think that the two can be reconciled however - Sky/Earth first for the creation of the world, dismemberment of the giant later for putting things in the world.
D Rivers

Return to Myth and Legend