Epics or not?

Sagas, myths, legends, Hollywood, Fantasy, and all the non-historical topics

Re: Epics or not?

Postby Neula H on May 7th, 2012, 6:10 am

It's very probable that epic poetry in the above sense did exist in Britain, it was simply not written down and lost along with everything else. What little survives - in the Mabinogion etc, are fragments.

I blame the Druids, the Oral Tradition, the Romans and the Christians.

I'm reading Spencer's Faerie Queen at the moment; now there's a good epic poem. Also satisfyingly violent and gross in places. To keep the kids interested.
Neula H

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Wye Valley, Welsh Borders
Tribe: Iceni / Silures
Region: S.W and eastern Britain
Time period: Late Iron Age

Postby Edwin Deady on May 7th, 2012, 9:45 am

We had a bowdlerised version of the Faerie Queencalled the Red Cross Knight. Very entertaining to an 8 year-old with pictures of knights in armour. Nothing gross though! Must read the original.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Neula H on May 7th, 2012, 12:07 pm

I'm only on page 50 and there's already been an evil wizard and a vile stinky serpent lady being eaten by her own mutated offspring, who gorge themselves, burst and die. was that in the picture book?

Bon appetit :)
Neula H

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Wye Valley, Welsh Borders
Tribe: Iceni / Silures
Region: S.W and eastern Britain
Time period: Late Iron Age

Postby Edwin Deady on May 7th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Certainly not, my eight year-old self feels cheated.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Previous

Return to Myth and Legend