Married gods and goddesses?

Sagas, myths, legends, Hollywood, Fantasy, and all the non-historical topics

Married gods and goddesses?

Postby Sarah Hare on May 23rd, 2011, 10:51 pm

Another strange question.. I seem to be good at these...

I know that many Roman, Greek, Norse, Hindu, etc, gods and goddesses are married or lovers... but in everything I've ever read about Celtic gods and goddesses, I've never read who's paired up with who. But I assume some of them have to be! So, because I'm curious about random things like this, can anyone tell me some examples of Celtic gods and goddesses who are married or lovers?

Thank you :)

Sarah
The extremity of the earth is ours, but this is the end of the habitable world. The Romans are in the heart of our country, No submission can satisfy their pride. While the land has anything left it's a theatre of war.They make a desert and call it peace.
Sarah Hare

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Canada
Tribe: Parisii & Brigantes
Time period: 1st - 3rd Century BC
aka: Mor

Re: Married gods and goddesses?

Postby solenne Meyer on May 24th, 2011, 3:03 pm

there are many couples in Celtic mythology : Dagda slept with Morrigan before the Second Battle of Mag Tuired, Llew married Blodeuwedd, Branwen and Mallolwch, Ethniu and Cian (parents of Lugh)...

however myth seams to be complicated, and the couple sometimes change from one to another story...
or is it thee same God/dess ?...

Sucellus and Nantosuelta

Sirona and Apollo, a Gallo-Roman couple...

some usefull links on Celtic mythology :
http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/welsh.html
http://www.shee-eire.com/magic&mytholog ... s/main.htm
solenne Meyer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Paris, France
Tribe: Parisii
Region: Lutèce, Gaul
Time period: first century CE
aka: Samobena

Return to Myth and Legend