Lugh all over Europe ?

Sagas, myths, legends, Hollywood, Fantasy, and all the non-historical topics

Re: Lugh all over Europe ?

Postby D Rivers on May 12th, 2012, 3:40 am

Certainly in all areas that I can see the concept of a sky-father as head of a god clan was either a alien introduction or the result of some sort of revelation the truth of which we cannot judge.

It's still mythology!

I don't think anyone is claiming a rigid hierarchy of gods, but why shouldn't there be leaders among them? Nuada, for instance, Gwydion, Arawn, Math, Bendigeidfran... of course these are later examples. The other thing we have to work with is the comparative evidence - there the Norse have Odin or earlier Thor as ruler of the gods, the Romans and Greek have their Jupiter/Zeus, the Hindus have Shiva or earlier Indra... I don't see Indo-European gods anywhere sitting at a round table without a leader. The Athenians were a democracy, but they still had a king of the gods; people's gods reflect the people, but not necessarily in the ways you'd expect - just because officially no-one's allowed to be leader or king doesn't mean the ideas of leader or king disappear, if anything it makes them more important.
D Rivers

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Duroliponti
Tribe: South Britons
Region: Hampshire
Time period: Middle Iron Age
aka: Dubnikos

Postby Edwin Deady on May 12th, 2012, 4:52 am

But, we are indoctrinated by thie idea of leadership amongst somewhat distant gods whereas the initial impetus may well have been personification of natural things and events, when they could be bothered.
Some people name their cars and John Cleese beat his with a bush for breaking down, it is short hop from this to asking the benefice of the great god car to get you home. Others in all ages will simply get the spanners out.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby D Rivers on May 14th, 2012, 4:05 am

But, we are indoctrinated by thie idea of leadership amongst somewhat distant gods whereas the initial impetus may well have been personification of natural things and events, when they could be bothered.

I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive...
D Rivers

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Duroliponti
Tribe: South Britons
Region: Hampshire
Time period: Middle Iron Age
aka: Dubnikos

Previous

Return to Myth and Legend