The Loss of the Ninth Legion

Sagas, myths, legends, Hollywood, Fantasy, and all the non-historical topics

The Loss of the Ninth Legion

Postby Dru Durman on March 16th, 2011, 8:33 am

With the new film the Eagle coming out, a member of our group, the Vicus (which portrays IA British and Romans, choosing the Ninth as their legion) posted this up earlier. Thought you'd like a look:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12752497
Dywow genes!
(Cornish: Gods be with you!)

Drustanos

http://www.dumnonika.com
Dru Durman

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Devon, UK
Tribe: Dumnonii
Region: South West Britain
Time period: 1st Century AD
aka: Drustanos

Re: The Loss of the Ninth Legion

Postby John Olinger on March 16th, 2011, 9:56 am

Thanks for this Dru, I'm with Legion VI in LA Ca, and we have good friends in San Diego who portray Legion IX. I'll pass this on to them.
Scotauiros
John Olinger

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Bakersfield, California
Tribe: Votadini, N/E Briton
Time period: Second Century A.D.
aka: Scotauiros

Postby Arevaco Macanudo on March 16th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Hmmm... Interesting.

I confess I had believed those who claimed the Legion was removed from Brittania and taken elsewhere until being wiped out by the Persians. But the article has me thinking I need to check my research... Perhaps I ought to look into this. Now I'm feeling like I want to see the movie.

I have recently been taking records of conflicts between the natives and the Romans post 84 AD... When I finish perhaps I will post my findings. ;)
Arevaco Macanudo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Edwin Deady on March 17th, 2011, 6:11 am

One detail that she puts into the book is the discovery of an Eagle hidden in Silchester
pic here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld ... UnhnEJkAAw

If this was a standard eagle then one would have to ask why was it buried? But on the other hand the Romans made such a fuss about their vanished forces in the Teutonberg Forests "Varus bring back my legions.", that one would have thought that more information would appear in the record.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Arevaco Macanudo on March 23rd, 2011, 5:20 pm

OK guys... I'm going to just solve this mystery for you all once and for all... This is what actually happened... I ate them... that's right, I ate the ninth legion... yea, anyway.
Arevaco Macanudo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Angus M on August 17th, 2013, 3:25 pm

A friend of mine recently bought a house with a piece of land attached in North East Scotland, where a Roman camp site overlaps his land.
I have already volunteered my services to help dig his potato patch.... *biggrin*
Angus M

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Scotland, United Kingdom of Dear Old Blighty

Postby Edwin Deady on August 18th, 2013, 1:29 pm

That is nice Angus, I once met someone on Dartmoor who hadn't realised that their house purchase included a ruined castle. Saw a piece of woodland with a hillfort for sale down this way but it sold almost as soon as the advert appeared. Our bit of wood has the remains of tin workings which we like, one reason we adit.
Edwin Deady

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Return to Myth and Legend