YOU KNOW YOU'RE AN ANCIENT REENACTOR WHEN....

Sagas, myths, legends, Hollywood, Fantasy, and all the non-historical topics

Re: YOU KNOW YOU'RE AN ANCIENT REENACTOR WHEN....

Postby Denis Grabow on November 6th, 2016, 4:04 pm

You might be an ancient reenactor when:

You recognize a roman centurio you meet maybe once a year, by his feather plumed helmet decoration, in a documentary on TV about archeology in Germany.
Denis Grabow

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Sentiacum in Germania Inferior. (or the modern town at the same place)
Tribe: Eburone
Region: Germany, middle Rhine valley
Time period: first century b.c
aka: Brannos

Postby Patrick Duerr on November 6th, 2016, 11:55 pm

You might be an ancient reenactor if...
-your cloak is a better option for covering yourself and your backpack when it's a rainy day on campus.
-you find that your bog shoes do very well for country dancing.
-you walk into fencing club with a full-sized battle-worn Celtic shield and try to get them to start a new branch.
-you plan your semesters out so that you can catch the next class on Greek and Roman history.
-you've ever paid for membership or kit items with home brewed alcoholic bevvies.
-you befriend your French professor over a conversation about Asterix and Obelix.
-you prefer winingas over modern snow trousers.
(just a few examples from the past year...)
Tovta Marae da Augu, Tosgo Mavi Vergalla
Patrick Duerr

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: CA
Tribe: Gaesatae
Region: Central Gaul
Time period: La Tene III/D
aka: Pattosos

Postby Edwin Deady on November 7th, 2016, 4:18 am

You go to a Reenactors fair and not only do you know you know people but need the clue of a robe or something etc to realise where you met them before but you chat to perfect strangers and talk the same language. You can say, for example, hand a half and don't need to say the word sword as well.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Denis Grabow on June 2nd, 2017, 4:18 pm

You might be a (bad) ancient reenactor when,

you get complimented on the wonderfully hand stitched seams of your tunic, but you reply it's machine stitched, you are just too inept in handling the machine to get a straight seam.

You can actually instruct some archeologist on the use/way to wear of a piece of equipment because you have practical experience whereas the archeologist only ever saw the piece sitting on a table. (Not exactly me that did it, but I was present. The archeologist was quite excited.
Denis Grabow

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Sentiacum in Germania Inferior. (or the modern town at the same place)

Postby Edwin Deady on June 11th, 2017, 3:21 am

I remember the first time an archaeologist first handled a flint knife with a proper handle to the blade. Revalation to him.
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Denis Grabow on September 13th, 2017, 1:08 pm

... while at the annual medieval festival, you wonder what period that weird black robed guy represents or whether he is doing a fantasy/LARP impression, only to notice on the second look that he is the parishes catholic priest in his 'uniform'.
Denis Grabow

Previous

Return to Myth and Legend