Hallstatt Tablet weaving Ribbon 1

Wool, weaving, spinning, dying, leather, rawhide....

Hallstatt Tablet weaving Ribbon 1

Postby Terry Sebolt on January 18th, 2009, 12:03 pm

I just wanted to show everyone Cindy's latest tablet weaving project. I've been meaning to post this up for the last week, but I procrastinate whenever possible.

Here is the original from Hallstatt circa 800-400 BC

And here is Cindy's reproduction of the pattern. circa 2009

The original was of wool in 3 colors, woven in 3-1 broken twill. This was Cindy's first attempt at this pattern, so was only of cheap cotton, but it was done in 3-1 broken twill, which is the important part. It took us approximately 6 hrs to map and graph out the pattern based on the original analysis , and the actual weaving took about about 3 hours more. The band used 21 4-holed cards, is about an inch wide, one set of the pattern is about 12 inches, and Cindy wove a little over 2 feet.

The next step is over-twisting and natural dyeing some high end wool thread, and using that to recreate the pattern. That will take a bit longer, since the preparation of the wool will be more labor intensive.

Red the Leatherseller
Terry Sebolt

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: San Antonio, TX
Tribe: Corieltauvi & Batavi
Time period: 1 C BC - 1 C AD & Hallstatt
aka: Red the Leatherselle

Re: Hallstatt Tablet weaving Ribbon 1

Postby Will Marshall-Hall on January 23rd, 2009, 10:46 am

Love it! Great work guys!
Will Marshall-Hall

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Wales, UK
Tribe: Ordovician
Region: North Wales
Time period: 250BC - 80AD
aka: Cwnogenus

Postby Folkert van Wijk on January 23rd, 2009, 3:43 pm

Yes this is great work!

I do have a very simple book about tablet weaving but when I checked out the work it only takes to set up the whole thing, I kind of scared of. And knowing this peticular pattern is a complex one,
I must say I am impressed!So...

..when can we start ordering a view meters?? *wink*
Folkert van Wijk

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Netherlands
Time period: La Tene I, II, III
aka: KOPICIOC (Korisios)

Postby Terry Sebolt on January 23rd, 2009, 9:26 pm

Heh, well actually, Will beat you to the question first, so he has dibs.

We just got our first batch of wool dyed up with some period dyes tonight. I'll post pictures of the colors as soon as it's completely dry. It's a simple yellow brown, a light grey and a near black grey. So very simple. But they look good. We still have re-wet and overtwist the yarns, then Cindy can start weaving. We'll see if this dye solution effects the yarn once she starts weaving. She's planning on using horsehair for the weft of the first one, since that was used on this particular piece. Hopefully, she'll have the first piece ready by the end of next week. Then she needs to finish the write-up of the historical documentation. The first piece she does is for an SCA arts competition, and she always aims to win.

After that, she's gonna start weaving up quite a bit more, sans horsehair. We'll know at that point whether we can continue to use this dye solution or go to more conventional dyes. So, hopefully she can produce more of this stuff for sale by the middle of February. I'll post pictures of the finished product as soon as it's completed.

Red
Terry Sebolt

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Terry Sebolt on January 24th, 2009, 1:53 am

Wow. What a pain in the butt. We just spent the last 4 hours overtwisting enough thread for about 8 feet of TW. That's almost 800 linear feet of very thin wool twisted tighter than comes from the factory. However, we only had one break, and that was caused by a snag on the swift (rotating cross to hold thread) we were using. So, it doesn't look like the dybaths weakened the wool significantly. That's a very good sign.

So with no further ado, here's the colors she's using for this project.

The threads on the far left were the original color of the thread, used only to show what it started as.
The second thread is a dyebath of just tannin water.
The third batch is tannin water followed by a ferrous oxide bath.
The far right is a double dip. Tannin water, followed by ferrous oxide, followed by tannin water, followed by another ferrous oxide bath.

These dyes were all readily available in any iron age site, and were common dyes pretty much everywhere. Now she will probably warp it up tomorrow and start weaving, possibly as early as tomorrow.

Red
Terry Sebolt

Postby Terry Sebolt on January 24th, 2009, 11:50 pm

Cindy got the upright loom warped up today. Here is the very beginning of the weaving. The red strings at the very beginning are red wool weft, just to get the weaving started. The little white string at the top end of the pattern is the actual horsehair weft.

So far, so good.

Red
Terry Sebolt

Postby Jeff Scharp on January 25th, 2009, 12:38 am

Beautiful work! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Jeff Scharp
Site Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Temple, Texas
Tribe: Corieltauvi
Region: East Midlands, UK
Time period: Late Iron Age Britain
aka: Lugorix

Postby Folkert van Wijk on January 25th, 2009, 7:49 am

Jeff Scharp wrote:Beautiful work! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Exactly. *cool*
Folkert van Wijk

Postby B van Diemen on January 25th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Looks really great.
B van Diemen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Tilburg, the Netherlands
Tribe: Eburonen
Time period: 1st century BC

Postby Terry Sebolt on February 3rd, 2009, 10:50 pm

Well, It's finally finished. The entire research project showing the steps involved and the archaeological info can be found on our website, here:
http://www.leatherchain.com/research/hallstatt.htm
Please check out the paper.

Here are a couple of pics of the finished project. Overtwisted wool, natural dyes, 3-1 broken twill, horsehair weft, woven on a fixed point loom.

closeup

and another closeup
The fuzzy looking area in the center of the weave is actually the third color strands working through the pattern, as was done on the original find.

We now have a much nicer modern wool that we just received yesterday. Samples in red and white are forthcoming (sorry, no natural dyes or horsehair on the new sample. Gotta make sure this wool works right, first.)

Red and Czina
Terry Sebolt

Postby Will Marshall-Hall on February 6th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Great Work Terry,

Give me the nod when you are ready to sell some!

Will
Will Marshall-Hall

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Wales, UK
Tribe: Ordovician
Region: North Wales
Time period: 250BC - 80AD
aka: Cwnogenus

Postby Bruce Willis on February 14th, 2009, 10:35 pm

By Epona!!!!! I had no idea this was period. I sure have alot to learn. I have some of these from Jas Townsend for my 17th/early 18th Century American colonial impression. Are these period?
http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=192
Bruce Willis

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Terry Sebolt on February 15th, 2009, 12:41 am

They are very close. Inkle weaving is actually a 20th century development, I believe. I'll double check with Cindy on the exact date, but I know that inkle is considered modern. Inkle is a much simplified version of tablet weaving. Most people don't know the difference. Hell, most people don't know what either one is. :) To anyone with any experience, they can tell the difference immediately from 20 yards, but they are both woven bands.

With tablet weaving, you use punched tablets as a type of 'creative heddle', which allows you to create very intricate and creative patterns of multiple colors. With inkle, you use short strands of thread to create an incredibly simple heddle, allowing one to create a simple band with simple 'horizontal only' patterns. Basically, inkle is a binary form of weaving a band. It's where most tablet weavers get their start before moving on to more intricate and complex forms.

Cindy actually uses a modern inkle loom to do a lot of tablet weaving, because they are small and portable. She can do 6 foot bands on her inkle while riding in the car to events. That's about as long as most inkle looms allow, and it does reduce the complexity of what she can do. But it beats the heck out of trying to weave on a full two post loom in the car. It's 4 feet long and 3 feet high. That really interferes with my steering. ;)

I can send more info your way, if you'd like it.

Red
Terry Sebolt

Postby Bruce Willis on February 15th, 2009, 1:43 am

Terry, please do. thanks

BW
Bruce Willis

Postby Terry Sebolt on April 30th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Alright, the next phase is nearing completion. Cindy started weaving the newest band today. This is the 1,364th wool that we've tried (at least it seems like it), but this one actually works without major modification.

This is the same exact pattern as the original pattern, including 3 color combo and selvedge edge. She is weaving with a wool weft instead of horsehair, but that was standard in most weaving, including the other 2 Hallstatt finds. It's slightly thicker and wider, as the thread is heavier, but it weaves longer sections. The wool was dyed at home using madder root and onion skins. It took a little over 2 weeks to dye the wool with the madder, slowing down the process, but Cindy's weaving is actually going faster than before, thanks to larger thread, wool weft and more practice. The time may even out in the end.

Here is the close-up of the first 72 picks, which is one complete set of the pattern. Bigger pic is in the Gallery.

This one is for a customer (if he likes the color combo), and should be ready by sometime next week. It's gonna be a long band.
Redg the husband of the Weaver
Terry Sebolt

Postby Folkert van Wijk on May 1st, 2009, 1:27 am

They do look very pretty Terry!!
Folkert van Wijk

Postby Becky Watkins Tien on May 1st, 2009, 10:28 am

That's a beautiful color combination. If her customer doesn't like it, she'll have no problem finding a new buyer!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Becky Watkins Tien

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Dallas, TX; Mountain View, CA; and Seattle, WA
Tribe: Tectosages
Time period: 200 BCE & 120 CE Ancyra/Ephesus
aka: Cassignata

Postby Clinton Wiltse on July 2nd, 2009, 12:35 am

My girlfriend has tried to get into tablet weaving but has become very frustrated with some of the resources she's come across. Does your wife have any advice on a good place to get started?
Clinton Wiltse

My Location: Pacific Northwest - WA
Tribe: Helvettti
Region: Swiss Plateau
Time period: 4th c. BCE
aka: Calinorix

Postby Magalí de la Reina on July 3rd, 2009, 4:23 am

Very beautiful color-combination!
Magalí de la Reina

My Location: Rome
Time period: Hallstatt-D and Latène-A + B
aka: Magalí

Postby Terry Sebolt on July 3rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Well, it's not perfect, but here are a few simple online spaces to get you started.

http://www.rocknbead.com/wshed/cardwarppics.htm
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Card-Weaving/join
www.stringpage.com

And there is Peter Collingwood's "The Techniques of Tablet Weaving". That's the weaving bible, though it was written before the Hallstatt finds were discovered.

There is very little info for Iron Age TW or before. Most of the info is for Viking Age and later. However, the Hallstatt pieces (along w/ The Veruchio find and Hochdorf) show that the techniques were around in their almost unchanged, most complex forms to the majority of Bronze and Iron Age Europe. I do recommend reading my wife's research paper (referenced in a previous post) if you want to document the earlier finds.

Where are you located? We may be able to put her in touch with someone local. You never know.

Redg the Leatherseller
Terry Sebolt

Postby Amy Arms on September 9th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Hi Terry,
Thank you for the resources you provided above. I'm the "frustrated" girlfriend Clinton mentions above. I am trying to self-teach myself how to tablet weave...which has been..well... interesting. I was wondering what kind of loom set-up Cindy has? I'm trying to decided what I should create for myself as a beginner. Thank you for posting all of Cindy's beautiful work. It has been quite an inspiration!

Amy
Amy Arms

My Location: Arlington, Washington US
Tribe: NW Celtic Boar Clan

Postby Terry Sebolt on September 9th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Hi Amy (this is Cindy)

For a starter loom, an inkle loom is a good choice. It's not period (it was created in the early 1900's) - but it provides an easily tensioned loom that is 'stand alone'. Backstrap works, but if you have to start and stop, it's very frustrating. The Oseberg 2 point loom is okay, but it doesn't have a separate tensioning system. this can be a problem once you've woven for awhile. There are some other types of looms, but I haven't tried them myself. A simple 'do-it-yourself' loom is to attach clamps to a table and use those as the uprights, similar to an Oseberg. It's cheap and easy to set up - but it isn't portable.

If you want more information about historical weaving, I would suggest the SCA-Card-Weaving yahoogroup. There are people from all over the US and the world, and there is LOTS of good information about looms, warping, problems, etc. I use the archived messages and the photos and files as a reference often when I'm trying new techniques. There are a lot of ways to teach/learn TW, and so having access to several different methods is a good way to figure out what works for you.

Hope this helps!

Redg's wife :)
Terry Sebolt

Postby Amy Arms on September 10th, 2009, 1:56 am

Cindy,

Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely check out those options. I was feeling a little overwhelmed with the choices I've been finding in various sites. The inkle loom does look like a nice portable option. It would be nice to have a loom I can easily take to events, so I headed to the SCA group right now! Thanks for all the help!

Amy
Amy Arms

My Location: Arlington, Washington US
Tribe: NW Celtic Boar Clan

Postby Carolyn A on September 10th, 2009, 3:29 am

Terry Sebolt wrote:Well, it's not perfect, but here are a few simple online spaces to get you started.

http://www.rocknbead.com/wshed/cardwarppics.htm
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Card-Weaving/join
http://www.stringpage.com

Redg the Leatherseller

I have also been frustrated with trying to learn tablet weaving! These links are excellent. I Have learned basic Inkle weaving and love it. I am determined! I think I will benefit from the first link. Beautiful ribbons, love the colors design, just beautiful! I love this forum!
~carolyn
Carolyn A

My Location: Washington, D.C.
aka: Muirgheal/Muirgel

Return to Ancient crafts: Working with Textiles