Tattoo Designs

Combat arts, chariots, cavalry....

Re: Tattoo Designs

Postby J Meijer on January 10th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Alex Hovorka wrote:Is there info on where #1 was located on the body?

The chest. I don't have info that's more specific than that.

Joost
J Meijer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby mundurucu on March 22nd, 2010, 5:08 am

Hi,

Visiti www.mundurucu.com and select a culture on the world map. Has tons on information on tattooing and cultures.
Also The World of Tattoo is available in English, German, French and Dutch.

regards,

M
mundurucu

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Bradley Battles on July 26th, 2010, 3:32 am

someone said that continental Celts had not been recorded as having tattoos?

Claudian [ad400] "painted cheeks etched with tattoos" and in [ad63] Strabo refers to "spirals" in reference to personal adornment,
(i recamend everyone get a copy of "the Celtic Heroic Age" its Transaltions of ALL Roman accounts of Celts, and a great wealth of early celtic writings/legend/lore , earliest verisons on "Cu Chulainn" "Finn" "Cormac" etc.., textbook quality info)

ive heard many times that they used something other than woad for the blue..

i say use traditional animal symbols- probably pick just one, and then the indistinct style of le tene, just dont use the symbols from picardy stones, we dont know what they mean and its disrespectful to assume you know, and theye were probably not for people, they could mean "a treaty was made here" "a great battle was lost" "a treaty was broken" or a number of speculations on religion as to what the "v-rod" or "z-rod" means, but there is evidence that early iron and maybe bronze age clans venerated [along with others] a particular animal as a clan diety, like "tomb of the eagles" or horse or dog in Scotland and Shetlands, in finds similar to Skara Brae. id say a boar, raven, and stag are great warrior symbols, and they are represented on stones, and early Pictish artifacts. the one conclusion ive come to is that body art was probably a few main pieces [say a boar] surrounded by dots and spirals which were more like le tene jewelry..
Bradley Battles

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Dru Durman on July 26th, 2010, 10:38 am

Any ideas what tone of blue would be achievable with Copper Vitriol tattoos?
Dywow genes!
(Cornish: Gods be with you!)

Drustanos

http://www.dumnonika.com
Dru Durman

My Location: Devon, UK
Tribe: Dumnonii
Region: South West Britain
Time period: 1st Century AD
aka: Drustanos

Postby Jame Mckinley on September 29th, 2010, 11:01 am

I am planning to have a tattoo but i don't know what designs to choose. Its hard for me to select because there are many choices.
Jame Mckinley

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Andy Lamb on June 22nd, 2011, 7:33 am

Hello there,
I was wondering if anyone could provide any good images of concentric circles as are often found on La Téne artwork? At present I am planning my fourth and fifth tattoos (current tattoos are a triskel from the Book Of Durrow in ultimate La Téne style located on the base of my neck and Pictish animals on the top of my chest) and was planning on putting concentric cirles at the tops of my arms before I work down the arm with an insular La Téne pattern, possibly the Kirkburn Scabbard. I have been drawing my own concentric circles for the past week using the illustrations I have to hand but am not entirely happy with them. I was therefore wondering if anyone had any illustrations of concentric circles so I could cross reference with my own designsnfor the sake of historical accuracy.

Thanks in advance!
Andy Lamb

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Belfast
Tribe: Atrebates
Region: Belgica and Britannia
Time period: La Téne D and Late British Iron Age
aka: Commios

Postby Ettore Viscontini on December 14th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Can I suggest this book for inspiration?

They fought disunited and they joined the fate of defeat
if they had been inseparable would be insurmountable
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

My Location: Bergamo - Northern Italy
Tribe: Free lancer
Region: Scotland
Time period: Iron Age \ Early Dark Ages
aka: Dumnorix

Postby Clinton Wiltse on December 18th, 2011, 2:43 pm

That's a great book. It's one I have in my reference collection at the (tattoo) shop.
Clinton Wiltse

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Pacific Northwest - WA
Tribe: Helvettti
Region: Swiss Plateau
Time period: 4th c. BCE
aka: Calinorix

Postby mcolbert on June 21st, 2012, 1:56 am

We have known that tattoo designs say much about how a person stands in the tribe. And though they could be really simple additions and ones that would not be recognizable in an instant, there are marks that are going to be really effective and workable.

I would like to start something similar with it and hopefully a good design would work with me.
mcolbert

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Isaac W on January 14th, 2013, 12:08 pm

A note to be careful with verdigris as it is somewhat poisonous. I am not sure I would want to put it under my skin these days (and I am prone to trying stupid things).

For color, here is some verdigris that I have "made" and played with as a pigment for painting and dying (image left of the 3rd image and only links left of the first two as they were a bit big)...

Start of "growing"
http://frenchinwisconsin.yolasite.com/r ... digris.JPG

Some scraped off to mix with oil as a paint...
http://frenchinwisconsin.yolasite.com/r ... rystal.JPG

Dissolving in vinegar for dying...
Isaac W

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Wisconsin, U.S.

Postby Livio Asta on January 17th, 2013, 6:50 am

Bradley Battles wrote:someone said that continental Celts had not been recorded as having tattoos?

Claudian [ad400] "painted cheeks etched with tattoos" and in [ad63] Strabo refers to "spirals" in reference to personal adornment,

The quote from Claudian is right, but it is about Caledonians (definitely not continental); i can't find the quote from Strabo, could you please give the reference so i can look for the original version too?

The only statement i have found in Strabo is about the Iapodes: "Their armour is Celtic, and they are tattooed like the rest of the Illyrians and the Thracians" (VII, 5, 4); but their (linguistic) celticity is very disputable and in my opinion Strabo seems to describe this habit as typical of Illyrians and Thracians, in contrast with the kind of weapons, like if he was meaning "they have Celtic weapons BUT Illyrian tattoos".
Livio Asta

My Location: Carugo, in *Brigantia, between Mesiolanomand *Komon
Tribe: Insubres
Region: Northern Italy
Time period: III b.C.
aka: Kosios

Postby Peter B on January 17th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Great Subject. ;) I made a reconstruction of one of Altai Scythian Warriors tattoo.. It is not the last one *biggrin* *biggrin*

Peter B

My Location: Warsaw, Poland
Region: Balkan Celtica
Time period: La Tene D1 / 1 BC
aka: Teyrnon

Postby Alex Hovorka on January 17th, 2013, 7:31 pm

That's really awesome.
Alex Hovorka

My Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA
Tribe: Boii
Time period: 300 - 200 BC
aka: Alex Hovorka

Postby Isaac W on January 18th, 2013, 11:02 am

Very nice. I am a fan of tattoos and have many, but of a different historic period and continent... some of which were tattooed in historic fashion. I love seeing tattoo history still being lived and "worn."
Isaac W

My Location: Wisconsin, U.S.

Postby Dick van Heusden on January 21st, 2013, 4:34 am

Very interesting topic.
I have collected a few Scythian ones myself
Attachments
CIMG1310.JPG
ram.jpg
tijger2.jpg
tijger.jpg
Dick van Heusden

Postby Peter B on January 25th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Dick van Heusden great tattoos! :D Pazyryk, and tiger rules..
this baby have two days :D

it is so many scythian tattoos and so little space of human body to put them on.. in next month i will tattoo another one from pazyryk or horse from other warrior burial :)
Peter B

Postby Brent on April 15th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Image Image

It`s cool to find others who appreciate the pazyryk style.
Brent

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ettore Viscontini on April 16th, 2013, 10:07 am

I'm working on my next one: a wolf
I'm looking for melt together Scythian, Gallic & Pictish style...
I hope it will be nice on my shoulder XD

picture will follow, now I've only a sketch ;-)
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Postby Angus M on April 16th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Peter B wrote:Great Subject. ;) I made a reconstruction of one of Altai Scythian Warriors tattoo.

Interesting tattoo, but he doesn't look very well...
Angus M

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Scotland, United Kingdom of Dear Old Blighty

Postby Ettore Viscontini on April 16th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Angus M wrote:
Peter B wrote:Great Subject. ;) I made a reconstruction of one of Altai Scythian Warriors tattoo.

Interesting tattoo, but he doesn't look very well...

or maybe
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Postby Peter B on April 17th, 2013, 6:02 am

This one is not complete, so that's why i've made resontruction that is bassed on oryginal tattoo with pazyryk elk elements.. This two are the most similar
Peter B

Postby Zach H on July 11th, 2013, 10:03 pm

I got my first tattoo today. It's based off of a bronze arm ring found in England. Thought you guys would like it.
Attachments
mytattoo.jpg

<!-- ReMOVED downlaod wording from attachmnets
Zach H

My Location: IN
Region: Ireland
Time period: 98 B.C.E - 400 C.E
aka: Séamus

Postby Ettore Viscontini on July 12th, 2013, 8:07 am

Very Nice Zach!

I'd say a typical celtic design ;-)

My first one is an elaboration of a gaulish coin showing a cros-legged seated figure with 2 braids holding a torques.
I changed the braids in stag horns added a horned snake who seals the figurare in a circle et voila!
*razz*

Second one is two prehistoric symbols from a cave in Spain and a mound stone in Sicily

the third will be a stylized wolf :-p (and following a raven... obviously -_-')
[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

Postby Alex Hovorka on July 12th, 2013, 4:35 pm

There are more experts than myself on la tene design but it looks pretty quintessential la tene to me.
Alex Hovorka

My Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA
Tribe: Boii
Time period: 300 - 200 BC
aka: Alex Hovorka

Postby Ettore Viscontini on July 13th, 2013, 8:59 am

here the Cernunnos... I've to make a second round to darken it XD

here prehistoric one

[Tacitus]
Ettore Viscontini

PreviousNext

Return to Way of the Warrior