Triping over your own scabbard

Combat arts, chariots, cavalry....

Triping over your own scabbard

Postby Tiemen Wolbers on March 18th, 2016, 5:25 pm

I have this question for my fellow 'metal' scabbard sword bearers.

The big issue which I have is that I don't dare to run with my metal scabbard, because it will get between my legs, *eek* which makes my body ignore gravity *egeek* for a brief periode of time which makes me flying head first *arrow* *cool* for a couple of a couple of metres before I land facedown onto the ground.... *redface*

Now I know that warriors probably had some training in this, or maybe just flung the whole thing aside? But this still don't solve the moment when you run with the sword still in your scabbard...

I use the normal toggle system with three rings and a belt hook-ring on my metal scabbard sword...

Is there anyone other sword scabbard pilot around who can help me with this? Although flying is super awesome as long as it last, but with your face on the ground infront of roman legionaries is not that frightening... *redface* *lol* *lol* *confused*
Tiemen Wolbers

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Tribe: Atrebates
Region: Belgica
Time period: Iron age and Jacobite

Re: Triping over your own scabbard

Postby Charles G on April 22nd, 2017, 10:18 pm

Would it be possible to show a picture of your rig? I have a thought but I need to see what you have to see if it's even relevant.
Charles G

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Los Angeles
Time period: La Tene II

Postby Edwin Deady on April 23rd, 2017, 5:24 am

Do gentlemen run?
Edwin Deady

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Cornwall
Tribe: Ingaevolc
aka: Aeduin O' Déadaigh

Postby Denis Grabow on April 28th, 2017, 9:34 pm

You could try to put the scabbard more to the side of your body or even to the hind half of it . That way it is a lot less likely for the scabbard to get between the legs.

Also, my former chieftain girded his waist belt over the scabbard belt, trapping the point where the scabbard is attached to the scabbard belt against his body. Which prevents the whole arrangement to flap around too much.
Denis Grabow

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My Location: Sentiacum in Germania Inferior. (or the modern town at the same place)
Tribe: Eburone
Region: Germany, middle Rhine valley
Time period: first century b.c
aka: Brannos

Return to Way of the Warrior